Volume leveling

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Imaohw

Volume leveling

Post by Imaohw »

I'm running the latest MM4. I tried MM volume leveling in the past, but it negatively effected the sound quality. I've been using mp3Gain for quite some time. It hasn't had an update in several years.

Is mp3Gain the best non-destructive option?

Thanks!
Lowlander

Re: Volume leveling

Post by Lowlander »

Volume levelling will generally not affect quality in an audible way up to 95dB. However within MediaMonkey you can use Analyze Volume instead and enable/disable Play > Level Playback Volume to fit your needs. Analyzing does not affect the audio of the file.
Imaohw

Post by Imaohw »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:19 pm Volume levelling will generally not affect quality in an audible way up to 95dB. However within MediaMonkey you can use Analyze Volume instead and enable/disable Play > Level Playback Volume to fit your needs. Analyzing does not affect the audio of the file.
HI Lowlander. I seem to have forgotten I posted this. Apologies for the delayed response. I tried MM's volume leveling about a year ago and couldn't figure out why the music sounded so bad...distorted. I turned off MM VL and it fixed the problem.

That said, I did notice the volume analyzing and assumed it was non-destructive to the file. However, one reason I've used mp3gain all of these years is that, while it doesn't impact the file itself, it does attach the changes to the file non-destructively, meaning whatever device, app or program I use, the volume leveling goes with the file.

My original question was prompted by the recognition that mp3gain hasn't been updated in a long time and wondered of there were something better. I've used mp3gain for a long time, and not all volume leveling has been at the same setting, thus I'll likely be re-doing the leveling in the near future. I wondered if there were a similar app.

Thanks for your comment.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MM and MP3Gain both uses https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain Standard, so analyze is the correct approach.

It is known that incorrectly written Gain Index to tags cause distortion and fix is easy eg. just re analyze them.

Personally I have not done Volume Leveling for at least 10 years for my library and only have done it few times when I knew playback device do not supported Gain Index (some low end car stereos).
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Imaohw

Post by Imaohw »

Peke wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:50 pm Hi,
MM and MP3Gain both uses https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain Standard, so analyze is the correct approach.

It is known that incorrectly written Gain Index to tags cause distortion and fix is easy eg. just re analyze them.

Personally I have not done Volume Leveling for at least 10 years for my library and only have done it few times when I knew playback device do not supported Gain Index (some low end car stereos).
I may try letting mp3gain remove it's leveling metadata and give it a try without. If that doesn't 'make the grade', I'll give the MM analyzing a shot.

Again, thanks for y'all's comments.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
if none help, can you please send us DL link to sample file?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts