Artwork missing after incomplete scan

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

tbm72

Artwork missing after incomplete scan

Post by tbm72 »

I was playing around with the new MMA2 and was at the end of doing a wifi sync. The sync finished OK and it had added a couple of new tracks and was in the final stages of scanning new artwork to the library (the actual sync had finished and the circle arrows were in the notification bar) when my phone ran out of battery.

After restarting loads of the artwork for all my other tracks is gone (artwork was all there before for everything). Is there any way to force it to rescan the artwork back? All my tracks have artwork embedded in the file itself.
rusty

Re: Artwork missing after incomplete scan

Post by rusty »

Does Options > Library & Sync > Check for new/changed media help?

-Rusty
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

No, that's one of the first things I tried but I've still got loads of artwork missing. Tried running that option several times to make sure but doesn't seem to do anything.

All the tracks definitely have artwork embedded in them and if I play them in other android apps the artwork shows OK.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Another possible fix would be to re-initiate the sync. Let me know if that works. BUT before you do, can you:

1) Go to a view with just a few tracks that is missing artwork (that is embedded but not shown)
2) Then tap Help > Send logs > Save and share the log file via our helpdesk (referencing this thread).

Note: normally you can just click 'Send logs' but in your case, we also want to have a look at the database and that's only saved when you 'Save' the logs, since it's too big to send.

Thanks for all your help and patience!

-Rusty
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Thanks Rusty, I'd actually already started re-initiating a sync just before I read your reply so am waiting to see if that fixes it. But I have to say, although the WIFI sync itself seemed to finish reasonably quickly (as it always has done), MMA seems to be busy doing stuff behind the scenes for a long time afterwards.

It's now been about an hour since the sync appeared to have finished and although I can still navigate around MMA, if I try to click Sync again I get this message:

Is it normal for MMA to still be doing something under the hood so long after the sync has finished?
rusty

Post by rusty »

An hour is probably too long.

If something like that occurs (again) please submit a debug log (Help | Send logs) and share the log ID here, so that we can see what the issue is.

Did your artwork appear after the sync?

Thanks!

-Rusty
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Thanks Rusty,

No I still have lots of artwork missing after syncing several times. I thought a wired USB sync might fix it as that helped when I had a similar problem before with artwork not showing in MMA but doesn't seem to have helped this time.

When I get a chance later I'll try and send logs over.
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Thanks, I've tried resyncing several times and still the artwork is missing. So this morning I completely uninstalled MMA then reinstalled and told it to rescan my phone's music folder back into the library.

It's now been several hours and it's still scanning the folders back in but I think it must nearly be finished:

I'm hoping this will fix it but will see. What I don't understand is if I use my phone's file explorer and look through each album I can see the artwork is definitely embedded in the file:

And if I open an mp3 in any other media player on my phone it always shows the artwork in whatever player I use (I've tried 4 or 5 and they all show the artwork). But if I use MMA it just won't show the artwork. It looks like MMA stores artwork in its own cache and pulls it from there but wouldn't it be easier to just take it directly from the file as it plays which is what the other media players seem to do?
rusty

Post by rusty »

MMA relies on the Android Media Scanner to read metadata into its library in cases where the content hasn't been synced (if it's been synced, all the metadata/artwork comes directly from MMW).

How many tracks are in your MMA library?

-Rusty
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

I have around 28k tracks in my library, all synced from MMW and all have artwork which shows correctly within MMW. Up until a couple of days ago it was all showing correctly in MMA.

Scanning has just finished and now none of the tracks have any artwork in MMA.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Wow--that's a really impressive collection for a phone!

To help us solve this, can you navigate to a view with missing artwork and then generate a debug log (Help | Send logs) and clicking [Save] instead of send. Then share the log files with us (via e.g. dropbox, mediafire.io, or ufile.io) privately--you can send me the link via private message on the forum or via our helpdesk.

It sounds complicated but it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.

Thanks!

-Rusty
Peke

Post by Peke »

tbm72 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:12 am I have around 28k tracks in my library, all synced from MMW and all have artwork which shows correctly within MMW. Up until a couple of days ago it was all showing correctly in MMA.

Scanning has just finished and now none of the tracks have any artwork in MMA.
Sorry for bit late reply, we wanted to be sure it is tested in various environments eg. Android 9-12 and I can't replicate. Thus I tested on less than 1k of tracks.

May I ask you to attach MM5 Sync profile settings screenshot for File Location and Tagging I would like to compare.

Also I wonder if Album art updates if you delete "albumart.jpg" from affected Album folder?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

After trying lots of different things that didn't work I ended up just scrolling through my entire library in MMA on my phone and selecting every file that had artwork missing and deleting them. Then the next time I synced it downloaded them all and I think my artwork is now all back.

It took several days but at least it's done now!
Peke

Post by Peke »

tbm72 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:09 am After trying lots of different things that didn't work I ended up just scrolling through my entire library in MMA on my phone and selecting every file that had artwork missing and deleting them. Then the next time I synced it downloaded them all and I think my artwork is now all back.
That is great, but still not tell us what trigger it :( Please let us know if it happen again. This needs to be fixed and we need to get to bottom of it ;)

Happy new 2023 and HAPPY MONKEYING!!!
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts