USB sync fail

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

TroubleClef

USB sync fail

Post by TroubleClef »

I tried a usb sync to my sd card and MMA for the first time in years because we haven't had a MMA beta version for wifi sync in a very long time, and the usb sync went really wrong. I added no new files to the playlist to be synced, I just wanted to update tags since my last sync. So I was surprised that not only did it take a couple hours for the tags, it then started converting and downloading files that already existed on the MMA device. Finally I had to terminate the process because I didn't have time to wait for the 1000s of tracks in my playlist to convert and re-download.

Now not only does it seem that I lost a lot of my tags like play stats, I am left with only a fraction of the tracks in MMA that I previously had . So it seems that I would have to continue with the sync and downloads just to get my files back.

Why did this happen? Are the wifi and usb syncs really incompatible??
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
Lowlander

Re: USB sync fail

Post by Lowlander »

Did you Sync to the SD card directly instead of the SD card in the phone? The latter will be needed for play stats to be synced. Tags can also become a problem as MMA doesn't scan the files itself.

For conversion, check your Device Profile's Auto-Conversion rules and make sure they're set correctly.
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:06 am Did you Sync to the SD card directly instead of the SD card in the phone? The latter will be needed for play stats to be synced. Tags can also become a problem as MMA doesn't scan the files itself.

For conversion, check your Device Profile's Auto-Conversion rules and make sure they're set correctly.

The card was in the phone when I synced. No conversion rules have changed.
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) of MMW and MMA are you using?
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:44 pm Which Build (Help > About) of MMW and MMA are you using?
MMW 4.1.31.1919

MMA 1.4.5.0960
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'd recommend MediaMonkey 5 as MediaMonkey 4 is no longer being updated. Sync between MM5 and MMA should maintain play history.
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:23 pm I'd recommend MediaMonkey 5 as MediaMonkey 4 is no longer being updated. Sync between MM5 and MMA should maintain play history.
I guess that's good to know for the future, although "should" is sort of a funny word... But do we know why this sync failed so spectacularly? I lost data that probably can't be recovered and will need hours of re-downloading just to get my playlist back. Alternatively, if I had access to wifi syncing in the last year it probably could have been avoided.

I'm still using MM4 because of the Discogs tagger.
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:23 pm I'd recommend MediaMonkey 5 as MediaMonkey 4 is no longer being updated. Sync between MM5 and MMA should maintain play history.
Well let me ask a different question; even if I start using MM5 now, I'm still going to need to use usb sync for the foreseeable future until the next version of MMA is released (I don't want to pay for an unsupported app just to get basic wifi functionality). Is there reason to believe MM5 would handle usb sync, and ultimately, mixed usb/wifi sync more reliably?
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I've always found wi-fi Sync more reliable. However if you do run into issues you can report the bug and a developer will look for a fix: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643 This will only happen for MediaMonkey 5. MediaMonkey 5 also contains fixes for bugs in MediaMonkey 4 regarding Sync.

The team is there to help users that encounter Sync issues.