How to handle new NAS IP address

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Re: How to handle new NAS IP address

Post by Lowlander »

1) Are they maybe files that Locate Moved/Missing Files couldn't match? Do they now have duplicates in the MediaMonkey Library?

2) That's expected. Both Folder Monitoring and Auto-Organize (Files) would need to be updated if used (and for the latter if full Path is used).
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:57 pm 1) Are they maybe files that Locate Moved/Missing Files couldn't match? Do they now have duplicates in the MediaMonkey Library?

2) That's expected. Both Folder Monitoring and Auto-Organize (Files) would need to be updated if used (and for the latter if full Path is used).
1) Locate Moved/Missing Files could not find that album but it does exist in the new NAS along with the rest of the library that was found. There were two other individual songs that also weren't found but I manually updated those file paths to match the rest of their respective albums and it worked. What do you suggest for this one remaining album that won't take?

2) How do I update Folder Monitoring and Auto-Organize? I updated both with the new IP address but I must be missing something else...

Thanks
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) I'd delete and rescan from new location.

2) Check all Auto-Organize rules set under Tools > Options > Auto-Organize. The same goes for Folder Monitoring, check all enabled folders.
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:44 pm 1) I'd delete and rescan from new location.

2) Check all Auto-Organize rules set under Tools > Options > Auto-Organize. The same goes for Folder Monitoring, check all enabled folders.
1) Do you mean delete that album from the library only? If so would I need to re-do Locate Moved/Missing Files before re-scanning?

2) I have only one auto organize rule and it includes the new correct IP address. For folder monitoring I have it set to continuously scan only the new correct IP address. I do notice that if I expand the Network node in the folder selction pane it shows both the new and old IP addresses. I don't know why MM would still think that old address exists, however that is not the location have selected for scanning anyhow. I have only the new location checked and the monitored folders pane shows only that correct location.
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) Yes, remove it from the Library, then rescan. Don't use Locate Moved/Missing Files as it fails to do the job on those files.

2) That should be all that is needed. Do make sure you're not scanning Playlists that still point to the old location for files.
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:05 pm 1) Yes, remove it from the Library, then rescan. Don't use Locate Moved/Missing Files as it fails to do the job on those files.

2) That should be all that is needed. Do make sure you're not scanning Playlists that still point to the old location for files.
1) This is very strange, I went through that process and the rescan still didn't find it. So I went to windows file explorer and noticed the folder for the album in question is set to "hidden" and windows won't let me change it. I'm the admin for my computer and the NAS so I'm not sure what the conflict is. I also have no idea how or when this one album folder was selected to be hidden, it's certainly nothing Ive ever done.

2) Nothing else is set to be scanned,
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) Can you copy the files? Does any folder or file start with a .? For Linux based systems (which most NAS run) this is a hidden folder setting.
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:36 am 1) Can you copy the files? Does any folder or file start with a .? For Linux based systems (which most NAS run) this is a hidden folder setting.
That could be the issue, the folder is for the album "...And Justice For All"

When you ask about copying the files, copy to where?
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's a Linux method to set items as hidden. Can you rename the folder and remove the leading ...?

MediaMonkey respects the hidden setting and ignores files/folders set to hidden.
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:42 pm That's a Linux method to set items as hidden. Can you rename the folder and remove the leading ...?

MediaMonkey respects the hidden setting and ignores files/folders set to hidden.
I guess I could delete the "..." although that is the correct album name, but is there any workaround?

Assuming changing the folder name in windows explorer will remove the hidden setting and MM will find the album on rescan, will it cause a subsequent problem when syncing devices that currently have the album with "..." in the name? I've already deleted the album from the MMW library as part of this trouble shooting process but I have a backup of the library if necessary.
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Just in the beginning of the folder/filename, not in the actual tags as shown in MediaMonkey. You can also try replacing it with … instead (Copy & Paste).
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:32 pm Just in the beginning of the folder/filename, not in the actual tags as shown in MediaMonkey. You can also try replacing it with … instead (Copy & Paste).

I see, remove "..." from the folder but then tag the album name correctly. I think that is where the problems started, at some point I think I changed the tag to include the "..." and then used auto organize. So if undo that change by reverting the folder name I guess I would just have to remember not use auto organize for this album if I tag it again?

Sorry I'm not following where you say replace, replace what with what?
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That works.
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:32 pmThat works.
OK that all worked to get the album back into the library.

So we're still left with my Item 2, why does Auto Organize still want to use the old IP address?
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you sure you're talking about Auto-Organize and not Auto-Organize Files (or vice versa)? They are 2 separate and independent features.