How to move (or undock) play list?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

pokeefe0001

How to move (or undock) play list?

Post by pokeefe0001 »

In MM 4 we move the Now Playing display to an external monitor. (This works whether docked or undocked.) How is this done in MM 5?
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
Multiple Win7 x32, unknown builds
Lowlander

Re: How to move (or undock) play list?

Post by Lowlander »

This is not possible with MediaMonkey 5. No window can be undocked from the main MediaMonkey window.
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

Is that going to be fixed? That's a major step backwards.
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

Is there a work-around for not being able to undock the Playing list? Is there a way to create a new undocked window that can sort of duplicate the Now Playing functions?

Most of the external differences between MM4 and MM5 have just been irritations but not moving the Now Playing list to an external monitor is an absolute show-stopper for our follkdance group. We'll have to stay on MM4 or find a different product.
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:42 pm This is not possible with MediaMonkey 5. No window can be undocked from the main MediaMonkey window.
It's been a long time since anyone expanded on this reply so I'm going to try asking again.

Is this a permanent restriction that will never be fixed, or is it something that may appear in the future?

If it may show up in the future, is there some way to make a formal request, or is mentioning it here sufficient?

If this just cannot be done in the MM5 architecture is there some way it can be faked? (I thought I saw something about multiple instances of MM running on the same computer communicating with each other ... although that may have been a request.)

The bottom line: MediaMonkey is of no use to me if it cannot have parts of its displayed information on multiple monitors.
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Undocking Now Playing is already possible using addon from Drakinite! ;-)

See: viewtopic.php?p=493859#p493859

(Just not checked whether he already published it, but works fine for me ;-) )
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

Great! Thank you (and him).
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Addon is now available here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... k-playing/ (I changed the ID in case I/we add the ability to undock more controls than just the playing list. If you have the one from that forum thread installed, make sure to uninstall it before installing this copy.)
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
FJvH

Post by FJvH »

Great addon Drakinite !
Two options I would like to see in a future version:
1. Currently it seems that only few fields are being displayed. Is it possible to add the logic from the undocked playing list where you can select the desired columns ?
2. Can the displayed fields be made changeable, again, like with the undocked playing list ?

Thank you.
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

drakinite wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:55 pm Addon is now available here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... k-playing/ (I changed the ID in case I/we add the ability to undock more controls than just the playing list. If you have the one from that forum thread installed, make sure to uninstall it before installing this copy.)
Unfortunately I wasn't watching that thread so I missed your posting.

This is a very good beginning, but, as it stands it does me no good. There seems to be no (obvious) control over what fields are displayed. "Artist" and "album" are just wasted space for our needs. "Country" - one of our custom fields - is an absolute requirement. There are no labels naming the displayed fields. (I had to guess "artist" and "album" in my previous comment.) And there seems to be no way to adjust the field sizes.

However, the fact that the Playing panel is still the main MM window tell me this is a Drakinite-defined panel, and that means we can probably define our own panel customized to our needs ... if we can figure out how to do this in MM 5. I seem nothing in the undockplaying-100 definition that defines the panel layout so I think there's going to be a very big learning curve. Perhaps too big to be worthwhile.
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can change what the Playing window shows under Tools > Options > Playing list. Use List and configure the fields displayed.
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

@pokeefe0001
in MM 4 we move the Now Playing display to an external monitor. (This works whether docked or undocked.) How is this done in MM 5?
That's what you want. AddOn: https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... k-playing/
In the "NowPlaying"-panel click at the top three dots - then the last entry: "undock"
The "NowPlaying"-panel is free and you can move it to an external monitor.

And this is what Lowlander describes: (Here you can let off steam with fields.)

Last edited by Erwin Hanzl on Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
FJvH

Post by FJvH »

Unfortunately the undocked addon version does not seem to pickup the the column selection made in the options. Also, as far as I can see, you cannot change values in the undocked screen.
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

you cannot change values in the undocked screen
I can very well. You see the three dots - just click on them. then you are there as described in my picture above.
Dare to test it.

UPDATE: Sorry, The undocked panel has the content of "Simplifield List" and NOT from "List"

Update MM5 to the 2606 beta. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639&sd=d
and please set up a signature.
Last edited by Erwin Hanzl on Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

Lowlander wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:28 pm You can change what the Playing window shows under Tools > Options > Playing list. Use List and configure the fields displayed.
That definitely sets what is displayed on the Playing list. And so does doing "Choose columns" from the panel itself. But that doesn't seem to be the settings used by Drakinite's undocked panel.

Judging from the various comments in this thread it sort of sounds like the behavior I (and some others) see is not the same as what others see. I don't see the Playing panel becoming undocked. I see another panel containing some of the columns from the Playing panel.

Ah! I'm not on the latest version. I'll update and check again (in a few hours).
Last edited by pokeefe0001 on Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2