[3018] Runaway CPU [#20983]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Rob_S

Re: [3018] Runaway CPU [full screen]

Post by Rob_S »

OK, so I debug-logged it, and submitted it

Ticket #7120: "High CPU useage on full screen" has been successfully submitted
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
CrashMonkey

Re: [3018] Runaway CPU

Post by CrashMonkey »

Is at my side not consistant, it does not happen all the time.

Btw in party / full screen mode, are you able to double click a song in the right side, for example a song under the current one playing. In full screen i can't double click a song and start it.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

You are correct, in party mode, double-click in right panel (playing list) for me does nothing.

In full screen but not in party mode, and in windowed mode, double-click plays the track. There is an open bug that says it performs the default action, which might in fact be clear list and play selected, have not tested that....

In all cases, I can right-click and choose play normally, play now to play selected track.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Check your settings for Party Mode, you may have disabled this option (so guests don't make mess of things during a party).
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

Rob_S wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:26 pm So, is it true that nobody besides myself is experiencing high CPU showing in task manager when open full-screen, which goes away when opened as a window or minimized????
Maximised idle, no Auto DJ, no playing, no other (user-controlled) activity: 1-10% varying, up to 20% on occasion, but basically minimal.
Mediumised idle, no difference

Cheers
Matt
MM 2024.3019 (WEF 4 May 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 27K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I sent them a debug log of what it is doing, so hopefully they will figure it out.

Also, this confirms it happens to the dug version as well as the regular version.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Rob_S wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:16 pm You are correct, in party mode, double-click in right panel (playing list) for me does nothing.

In full screen but not in party mode, and in windowed mode, double-click plays the track. There is an open bug that says it performs the default action, which might in fact be clear list and play selected, have not tested that....

In all cases, I can right-click and choose play normally, play now to play selected track.
Hi,
yes, this was discussed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20893
rusty

Post by rusty »

Is full-screen high CPU usage still occurring with build 3027 (we haven't been able to replicate)?

Thanks!

-Rusty
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Yes, for me it is, see updated ticket. Is there anyone else on here with a Ryzen 5 CPU which appears to be a prerequisite for this to occur??

To reproduce, simply start media monkey and wait for it to stabilize, ie finish checking for updates and finish any startup scans. Leave it doing nothing. Reduce MM to "Windowed" size.

Then start task manager and observe CPU percent used - for me it stabilizes around 2-4%

Switch MM to full screen, and tab to the task manager. I usually see CPU stabilize around 25-35%.

From full screen, reducing back to windowed state almost immediately reduces back to 2-4%

Also, from full screen, reducing to Miniplayer leaves high CPU at around 25-35%.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

To be clear, you don't mean maximized, but instead mean full screen? What is showing when in full screen? If Playing with Artwork is it set to Animate background on playback?
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Yes, full screen, ie what happens when you click on the single small square top right corner of title bar, just beside the X. This button has a tool-tip labelled "Maximise window" :)

In all cases MM is idle, as mentioned above. Not playing anything, all known background processes completed.

However, it appears the CPU numbers in each state are not much different when it IS playing, ie 4-6% when windowed, and 30-40% when full screen
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That sounds like Maximize, not full screen.

What is being displayed in MediaMonkey at this time, or does this not matter? Is hardware acceleration enabled/disabled under Tools > Options > Performance? Does a clean install suffer the same issue on your setup?
rusty

Post by rusty »

In addition, can you share a screen capture that shows what your full screen layout looks like? Maybe there's something about the skin/layout/setup that's triggering this.

Thanks!

-Rusty

p.s. we've tested on Ryzen 5/7 machines and can't replicate.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Just tried with Hardware accelleration turned off, no difference

For "Clean install" you mean just uninstall and then re-install as opposed to install over, or what else do I have to do to make it "Clean"

I will attach the screenshots to the ticket.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can do a Portable Install in a separate location. This will be the clean install, leaving your current install untouched. This allows you to test this problem on a clean install, without messing with your current installation of MediaMonkey.