How do you capitalize your song titles?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Which option best represents what you prefer (for a song title)?

You may select 1 option

View results

Steegy

How do you capitalize your song titles?

Post by Steegy »

I'm asking myself how most users capitalize the words in a song title.

Some people only capitalize the first letter (as in a normal sentence), some users prefer to have all major words starting with a capital letter except binding words like 'and' 'or' 'with'..., and some people prefer to use a capital letter as first letter for every word, no exceptions.

So how do you like it best?

When it is known what most users prefer, it can be used as default wherever needed.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

Personally I like "It Goes On and On" the most but in my library I use "It Goes On And On". Is there a script to change that?
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Skins in use: ZuneSkin SP / Eclipse SP
AutoRateAccurate 3.0.0 (New) - Rates all your songs in less than 5 seconds!
About me: icoaching - internet | marketing | design
Morten

Post by Morten »

What about the in-built Case Checker script in v2.5.5 then?
Best regards,
Morten
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

whats capitalize mean? ha ha ha ah. :P :roll:

i was forced by my big sister to do cap's on the first words

then the case checker in 2.5.5 made me do them it's way.

so they are like the case checker after i decide to run it, and correct what i did. :wink:
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
tommae88

Post by tommae88 »

To be perfectly honest, I use lowercase in every song title -- it creates a similar theme throughout the entire database and I like the way that it appears. Unless, of course, there is something important in the capitalization, (the only example I can think of right now is (s)AINT by Manson)
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Ok. In fact it was about the Case Checker script.

Do you guys prefer something yourself, or you you say you prefer it because Case Checker does it that way? 8)

I prefer "It Goes On And On" because it's the simpelest thing. You don't have to bother about first word of a sentence, or proper names and such. I also always found it difficult to decide which words should .not. start with a capital letter.

But I've been proven 'wrong' now I guess :cry: :wink:
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
nojac

Post by nojac »

May be you could make a Case Checker for use on this Forum?? :D
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

@Morten: Thanks! I never tried the Case Checker! :D

@Steegy: Yes, you're right... It' really difficult. I just wanted to change the cases and then I saw some difficult cases. Specially in german titles.
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Skins in use: ZuneSkin SP / Eclipse SP
AutoRateAccurate 3.0.0 (New) - Rates all your songs in less than 5 seconds!
About me: icoaching - internet | marketing | design
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I use full title case ("It Goes On And On") cos it's easier than decided which words to start with a capital letter and which not to! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Morten

Post by Morten »

That's why you got the case checker Trixmoto :lol:
Best regards,
Morten
k_r_eriksson

Post by k_r_eriksson »

I don't think it is that simple. I like words like TV, CD and so on to have all capitals. I like names like O'Hara and McCartney to be spelled that way (do you spell spelled like that?). I go over all my songs manually with mp3tag before I add them to the database.

I like "It Goes On And On" best.
gege

Post by gege »

I always use Case Checker! In fact I've made two different versions of it. The fist one is almost like the original one. I've made just a few adjustments.
The second one (which I called 'Portuguese Case Checker') I've changed a little more to match capitalization conventions used in Portuguese. I included some Portuguese 'binding words' like 'o', 'a', 'os', 'as' and so on...

This way, depending on the language of the music I'm tagging at the moment, I use the first or the second one.

The results I achieve with both is basically like "It Goes On and On". And I'm very satisfied with this.
gege

Post by gege »

k_r_eriksson wrote:I don't think it is that simple. I like words like TV, CD and so on to have all capitals. I like names like O'Hara and McCartney to be spelled that way (do you spell spelled like that?).
No problem with that! Case Checker has a 'forceCapString' list. You can edit the script and add to this list the words which capitalization you want to force. That's what I did!
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Here's my customized Case Checker portion:

Code: Select all

Dim littleWordString
'littleWordString = "a|an|and|at|de|del|di|du|e|el|en|et|for" & _
'                   "|from|la|le|in|n|'n|n'|'n'|o'|'o'|of|or" & _
'                   "|por|the|to|un|une|und|with|y|'k"
Dim forceCapString
forceCapString = "AC|EBN|OZN|MCs|MC's|DJs|DJ's|JBs|JB's|10cc" & _ 
                 "|Mr|Mrs|Dr|Jr|Sr|Pt|St.|St|vs|ft|feat|pres" & _ 
                 "|aka|Vol|w/|ABC|ABCs|AC/|ASCII|ASCIII|ATV" & _ 
                 "|BTO|ELO|ELP|EMI|DuShon|FYC|INXS|MacArthur" & _ 
                 "|OMC|OMD|OMPS|PSI|PTA|REM|REO|Sgt|UB40|UK" & _ 
                 "|USA|USMC|UTFO|silence]|iiO|T's|OK|Km/h" & _ 
                 "|YMCA|USSR|LoungeDeluxe|M'n|TMF|MTV|NRG|DJ" & _ 
                 "|MC|H2O|AlexIsOnFire|PhD|dEUS|NOFX|'s|'n|'t" & _ 
                 "|ACDC|t'|ID&T|UR|'k|ATB|AR52|BAT 67|CD" & _ 
                 "|trance[]control|meets|JimTv|GDream|NY|ID|EP|TV"
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

I use musicbrainz, so its basically title case for proper words and lowercase for minor words.