Send To -> Move Folder Doesn't Move The Folder

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

latinmusiclover

Send To -> Move Folder Doesn't Move The Folder

Post by latinmusiclover »

Maybe It's me, but I just tried to move some folders from my "working" to my "done" folder using the "Send To" -> Folder Move" operation and it didn't do what I (intuitively) thought it would do. I thought it would move the _folder_ and contents, but instead it moved only the _files_ and contents, leaving the files in the root folder not in a folder below the root. So I wanted to move K:\Work\Artist - Title\ (and contents) to K:\Done\Artist - Title\, but instead it moved the files and contents to K:\Work\. It seems counter-intuitive to me to move only the contents if the folder was selected.

I don't want to make a new folder "Artist - Title" every time I want to move the completed mp3s and folder contents, and I don't want to have to go behind and remove the now empty old one. Is there a better way to do what I want to do within MM? Thanks

Just in case osmeone else has hte same problem and searches for an answer... I did find that I can select the folder, right-click and choose "Cut" then scroll to the other location, right-click and choose "Paste".
ashishg

Post by ashishg »

Send To -> Folder (Move) just moves the files to destination folder. It does not move the folder itself. If you first create K:\Work\Artist - Title\ and K:\Done\Artist - Title\ then moving would be easy. It still won't delete old folder though.
latinmusiclover

Post by latinmusiclover »

ashishg wrote:Send To -> Folder (Move) just moves the files to destination folder. It does not move the folder itself. If you first create K:\Work\Artist - Title\ and K:\Done\Artist - Title\ then moving would be easy. It still won't delete old folder though.
But there's no point in doing that (creating a new folder) if you want to move a folder (and it's contents). And in my case, I have to move about 200 folders.

Selecting files and Send To -> Move is intuitive for moving only files. Selecting folder and Send To -> Move is intuitive to move the whole folder (and contents).
ashishg

Post by ashishg »

I guess intutiveness is subjective. To me, MM says that move these files to this folder and it does so. Anyway, to solve your problem, did you try auto-organize files? That creates new folders, deletes old ones, and moves the music files. Details are there in help file.
latinmusiclover wrote:
ashishg wrote:Send To -> Folder (Move) just moves the files to destination folder. It does not move the folder itself. If you first create K:\Work\Artist - Title\ and K:\Done\Artist - Title\ then moving would be easy. It still won't delete old folder though.
But there's no point in doing that (creating a new folder) if you want to move a folder (and it's contents). And in my case, I have to move about 200 folders.

Selecting files and Send To -> Move is intuitive for moving only files. Selecting folder and Send To -> Move is intuitive to move the whole folder (and contents).
heinimuecki

Post by heinimuecki »

you can use the auto organize function instead.

this will move your files depending on a mask you can
create to your needs.

maybe this helps :o
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'd expect if you right click on a folder in the explorer tree and use send to that it would move that folder. Otherwise it would move the selected files.

I assume this doesn't work to prevent confusion between the 2 scenarios. Cut & Paste does work without problem.