Moving MediaMonkey database from one computer to another

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

ashishg

Moving MediaMonkey database from one computer to another

Post by ashishg »

I have MM installed on one laptop which has music files in hard drive. I want to move whole setup (MM, music, database) to another laptop and want to keep MM database intact. What is simplest way to do this? Can I just move my music, install fresh MM on new laptop, and scan the music? What will be lost? Is the script to change drive ID (http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8975) applicable here? Thanks a ton. God bless you :P

On a bonus, how can I also move my plugins, scripts, etc.? Or do I have to reinstall them separately?
ashishg

Post by ashishg »

That was me before registering.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

copy songs to same exact folder directory as on the present laptop.

install free media monkey 2.5.5 on new laptop.

copy all sub folders of media monkey on present laptop.

paste them in to media monkey program folder on new laptop.
which will over write the newly created sub folders that have
nothing in them with the sub folders from the present laptop that has
everything in them.

go to my documents on present laptop and go to the my music folder
then look in the media monkey folder for the media monkey ini folder.
copy it and paste it in the the same folder in the new laptop overwriting that newly created ini file.

all should be working on the new laptop just like the old laptop.

should be working as same but NOT 100% guaranteed 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
ashishg

Post by ashishg »

Thanks but first step is not possibe. I have music in E:/Music directory now but will have to move them to C:/Music because of some technicality. Any tips?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

move music files to c drive directory.

install media monkey 2.5.5.

rescan files on new laptop just like you should when you first installed it
on the old laptop.

enjoy music on both laptops.

in other words everything has to be the exact same as the other one inculding the drive id number or it wont copy over correctly.

after you install the monkey on the new laptop the only things you can copy over is the sub folders inside the media monkey's program folder.

all except the data folder. that you can't copy because that is where it
says to look on E drive.

copy the rest and paste them in to over write the new folders on the new lap top just to keep your same skins and scripts. and plugins and other stuff all the same as the ones that are working on the old laptop.

:-? sorry no shortcut in moving them if you don't have same directory structer
Last edited by rovingcowboy on Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
ashishg

Post by ashishg »

Thanks again. I'll try it tonight and post here again. So ultimately I will lose my ratings, custom fields, play count, and anything which is not in file's own id3 tags.
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

You also can move your whole library as I did.

The important thing is to keep the same folder-structure (the drive-letter is not important!). If you had E:\my music\... you can move your music to c:\my music\...

After that you only have to change the drive-id in the library file with MS Access for example. I did a simple search&replace. How this works exactly is surely somewhere in this forum.

This way you keep all informations!
Big_Berny
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Skins in use: ZuneSkin SP / Eclipse SP
AutoRateAccurate 3.0.0 (New) - Rates all your songs in less than 5 seconds!
About me: icoaching - internet | marketing | design
Lowlander

Change drive in database

Post by Lowlander »

Actually what RovingCowboy indicates doesn't work as MediaMonkey uses the driveID in it's database. As the second laptop has a different driveID (drive letter doesn't actually matter) the database won't recognize the songs.

But there is this topic that explains it all.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

you mean the first post of mine was wrong?

i was thinking in the first post i did that it should work that way i forgot about the drive id and not the drive letter stuff.
:cry: sorry. :(

but i know the second one will work since i said to reinstall on the new computer and rescan the new folder structer.
that is the same as a new install. 8)
ashishg

Post by ashishg »

Thanks for all the help. So in essence, it is pretty much same as fresh install except that I can overwrite script and plug-in folders to carry them with me. And as I understand, I cannot copy mediamonkey.ini and mediamonkey.mdb files. Where is the use of this script to change drive ID coming now?

Or can I move .ini and .mdb files both and then change drive ID from E: to C:? I didn't see option to select left drive in drop down if E: doesn't exist on new computer.

I guess I'll just have to try and see what works. But if there is no fool-proof way to move music to new computer then it is a important shortcoming in my view. Of course, I don't know if any other music organizer lets me do that or not.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can copy the MediaMonkey.mdb and follow the steps in the scripts description to switch from the E drive to the C drive.
ashishg

Post by ashishg »

Just to complete the case:

I copied the songs to new computer. I installed fresh MM and scanned the songs. MM found everything except playcount. I was surprised that even ratings and custom field were intact. Then, I overwrote Plugins and Scripts folders and modified mediamonkey.ini and scripts.ini file manually. Everything seems to be good except playcount. Not so much issue.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

You can reuse your old database in its entirety by using the script linked earlier by Lowlander.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Like you said to complete. PlayCount is Library only value and when you delete track from library you lose the playcount. There is no way that Mm could know that you allready played that track if you just adding it to library
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts