ERROR_LOST_SYNC (Flac files screwed after MediaMonkey)

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

fragility_v2

ERROR_LOST_SYNC (Flac files screwed after MediaMonkey)

Post by fragility_v2 »

Well, i thought this program would work perfectly for fixing tags and organizing my music. I use wmp to actually listen to them since I use Media Center. This worked before "fixing" the tags, after MM touched them i now have ERROR_LOST_SYNC errores on every flac file. WMP freezes at start. Does anyone know how to fix this error? Thanks for any help :)
jiri

Post by jiri »

Do you use MM 2.5.5? Could you send us an example file?

Jiri
fragility_v2

Post by fragility_v2 »

jiri wrote:Do you use MM 2.5.5? Could you send us an example file?

Jiri
Hi, yup 2.5.5. I have uploaded two flac files, both very small. One is the original and the other is a copy but with tags auto added in MM. The tags are just randomly added. Oh, the flac file was created using flac frontend with default settings.

http://www.flyleaffans.com/josh/working_tada.flac
http://www.flyleaffans.com/josh/not_working_tada.flac
Peke

Post by Peke »

And do not forget that both files are in NEW FLAC 1.1.3 and play in MM without problem. I was able to decode them without problem with FLACFrontEnd.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
fragility_v2

Post by fragility_v2 »

For me its not an issue of being able to play them in MM. I need them to play correctly in WMP and not freeze. I use Media Center and have the correct setup for it to play but once i ran them through mm the files became "damaged" (at least as far as wmp is concerned)
Wock

Similar issue

Post by Wock »

Since installing the official MM 2.5.5 release it has corrupted every FLAC file that I have edited tags. The files will play in MM, but they won't decode using FLAC frontend, and won't convert to any other format. Trying to use the FLAC frontend gives the STATUS_LOST_SYNC error, and I have gone to the FLAC site and grabbed the latest version of everything.

I have just removed 2.5.5. official release from my system and put the beta back on of 2.5.5.980. The problem is gone when I went back to the older version and all my FLAC files are clean once I re-ripped and tagged them.

The error was definitely happening the moment that MM wrote a tag to the FLAC file. Up until that point they were fine.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Very Interesting problem, only few non important changes are made changes are made in writing headers so that we can support Album art.

I'll look into it ASAP (possibly even tonight).

Please Note that there will be no need to re-rip no audio is corrupted from those two examples just headers.
Best regards,
Peke
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

I sent an email last night with this exact problem.

*** Got error code 0:FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_LOST_SYNC
*** Got error code 1:FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_BAD_HEADER
*** Got error code 0:FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_LOST_SYNC

ERROR while decoding data
state = FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_FRAME

File failed testing.

This is using the batch conversion script @ http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/ind ... opic=50993 which simply uses the flac commandline encoder to test and re-encode to 1.1.3 flac.
fragility_v2

Post by fragility_v2 »

i was able to re-encode using mm and the files play correctly. its a lil time consuming, but worth it.
Segovia

Post by Segovia »

Any more info on this yet? I'm feeling a little stressed since nearly my entire collection is in FLAC. :wink:
Peke

Post by Peke »

Fortunately I was right what was the problem.
It is located and fixed, so do not worry all will be OK. Maybe repack inside MM will be needed.

Also big thanks to you all as without you this will pass as unnoticed.
Best regards,
Peke
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Peke will there be a 2.x release to fix this, or an updated flac plugin/library? or will this be fixed only for 3.0?
jiri

Post by jiri »

There will most likely be a 2.5.x release fixing this and possibly other problems. Until then, I uploaded http://www.mediamonkey.com/beta/f_flac.dll that should fix the issue.

Jiri
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Thanks for the quick update!

edit:

as a quick note, I tested the updated dll and it DOES *prevent* working files from becoming broken, but it DOES NOT fix existing files with the lost sync errors.

I tested and confirmed this on the 3 files I had emailed earlier this week.

Is there any other way to fix this other than doing a flac to flac re-encode?
jiri

Post by jiri »

Re-encoding seems to be the safest way.

Jiri