Motorola RAZR V3i NON iTunes

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

paulmt

Motorola RAZR V3i NON iTunes

Post by paulmt »

I have a RAZR V3i with Motorola’s "Digital Audio Music Player" not iTunes installed.

MM 2.5.5.980
Win XP Home SP2

Windows sees the Phone and installs it, I can browse the phones add-on Mem card via explorer though it doesn't change the drives name to Motorola or anything?
and when in MM if I unplug and re-insert the phone into the USB port MM sees something and the device icon changes to a phone type icon,
once, on clicking sync MM went through the process and the transfer progress bar showed, indicating the tunes that were being copied, but nothing was actually transferred to the phone, that I could see.

Now, mostly MM says it cannot see the phone.

I have gone through the posts re this phone and iTunes, should this all work with the software I have on my phone, or do I need a plugin that is different.

In the Tools\Options\Portable\Audio Device area apart from the iPod dll's there are only d_WMDM.dll's linked to the removable disk allocations.

Any help please - it's not the end of the world for me if this isn't going to work with MM, but it would be great if it did and saves me carrying a phone and iPod around.
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

I have played around with this some more.

This is a Windows problem not a MM issue. When I use the Handset Manager and plug and unplug the phone into a USB port a couple of times, I can force windows to recognise the drive and give it a drive allocation, which MM see's straight away and copies the selected playlist without any problem.

Thanks

Post by Guest »

You can put the V3i into different modes for sync-ing.

You should be in memory card mode, not data mode (since you do not need to sync your phone details).
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

Yep I realise that, and in this case had it set to sync to the memory card.

It's not any of that, or the way MM relates to this device that is the problem, it's the way Windows see's the phone when it's plugged into the USB port.

It doesn't seem reliable, a bit flakey, and I read in other threads about this phone that others are experiencing the same issue.

I also read while doing some research on this that some people are saying (on different forums) that the Motorola plugins are not entirely compatible with Windows XP. I don't know why this would be but I am going to follow up with Motorola support.

At the moment, I can force Windows to see the phone, and then MM in turn see's it and does it's thing ok.

Other issues I have come acrross that are already documented by other posters, is the 128bit limit on songs this phone will see and play. I have changed my "auto-conversion" settings now to accomodate this.

So, it's all good (almost) :D