Backup 6.0 - Updated 01/07/2014

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

paulmt

Post by paulmt »

Thanks for your continued development of this script. I could not be without it now, backing up after almost any reasonable session has become routine for me.

I wondered though, why a backup before shutdown could not be an option, or a checkbox option to automatically perform a backup prior to the shutdown sequence, after files\exit is selected.

I personally prefer the idea of a auto backup after a session than prior to starting.

Thanks
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I think this will mean a bit of a rewrite of the helper script, but this should be possible. I'll put it on my to do list! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

New version (3.3) is now available from my website. It has the option to automatically backup on shutdown (using a different helper script). Don't forget to wait for the confirmation message before you close your computer down though! :)
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

Thank you very much for including this additional feature, that I think makes backup more intuitive.

As always, a couple of problems :lol:

When activating the script from within MM <Tools\Scripts\Backup>
and selecting "Backup" with the configuration set as screenshot #1 shows, the backup runs normally and completes without issue.

On shutdown however, the error message (screenshot #2) pops up, followed by the "backup completed" message (screenshot #3)

Without Backup 3.3 loaded I do not get this error when shutting down.

MM 2.5.5.980
Win XP Home SP2 + all current updates

Hope this helps you to track this error down.

#1 Configuration

#2 Error Message

#3 After Backup has Completed

Cheers
Paul
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I don't really know what to suggest, as I cannot replicate this.

Line 113 is blank, can you put the following here:

Code: Select all

MsgBox "hello"
Does this message appear before or after the error message you are getting?
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

OK, with line 113 added as asked, and with MM rebooted, the shutdown went without error, MsgBox with "hello" popped up after MM had cleared screen, and then backup confirmation box appeared.

Seems to me the blank line is the cause of the error, what should I put there to fill the line, without the popup, a hyphen (') ?

Thanks

Edited to add!

Just tried that put 'MsgBox "hello" with the hyphen
but the error on shutdown re-occurred
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Well that's very strange. I'll see what I can do, maybe put a delay in or something. For I'd suggest putting the message back in, but changing it to something more appropriate like "Backup: Click ok to contine...".
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

That's what I have done, and I will leave it at that while you look into it when you can.

Thanks
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I'm sorry paulmt but I can't replicate this and I cannot see a way round it. The code is very simple and I cannot understand why a pause here makes any difference, if anything it should make matters worse! For now you will have to cope with the extra message box.

Can anyone else confirm they are recieving this error message too?
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

Oh no, that's sad!

I wonder, and should have mentioned these to you <duh>

I have sqrSoft 1.7, DFX 7.5 and CD Art Display running and set to shutdown with MM

I wonder if these are getting in the way or vise versa?

I know you must be busy and I have some time available so I will try Backup 3.3 without these and see what happens.

Thanks
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

OK, I disabled the three scripts that are shutdown with MM and this made no difference. I still get the above error.

If I disable the Backup on Shutdown and enable Backup on Startup, this works ok and of course shutdown occurs without the error.

For the time being, I will disable auto backup and continue manually backing up as before.

Be interested to see if this happens to anyone else.

My thoughts are if you can't force it, then it probably relates to something else that is shutting down with my MM and I will continue to look for what this might be.

Thanks
Bex

Post by Bex »

I thought i had todo with other scripts that are performing tasks at shutdown like "Play history" and "Advanced duplicate Find". Those script deletes some temp tables at shutdown so if the backup script tries to copy the database at the same time there might be a problem.

But it worked fine for me!

There could however be other scripts that perform tasks at shutdown that conflicts with the backup script. Try to rename Backup.vbs to ZBackup.vbs to see if it helps.
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

Bex wrote:Try to rename Backup.vbs to ZBackup.vbs to see if it helps.
Really? I will try that, but I can't see the logic in this, what is your thinking in changing the name? :)

Thanks
Bex

Post by Bex »

Then it is processed last on a shutdown! (I think?)
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

Thanks Bex for your input, infortunately when I edit the name, scripts.ini and etc, this made no difference.

Thanks anyway :)