Pick the monkey? and new user comments

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

toxboy

Pick the monkey? and new user comments

Post by toxboy »

I just registered for the forum and had to navigate an array of pictures and choose the monkeys. The problem was that two of the three monkeys were actually apes. I did choose correctly realizing that many people group all non-human primates as monkeys. However, as a biologist, I could have missed this, by choosing correctly. Oh well.

I have been using the free version of MM for about a month, I have also been using various scripts, etc. I am a convert from the lifetime version of Musicmatch Jukebox. MM runs much better on my old WIN 98 system.

I plan to upgrade to the lifetime gold version within the week. Last week I actually uninstalled Jukebox from my system, when I had determined that MM would do everything I need it to do.

It has many options and is very powerful, but could be intimidating to a computer neophyte.

Keep up the good work. Forums have been very helpful in getting me started.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Monkey vs. Ape has been discussed. The difference get's lost internationally. Anyway this method has proven very effective for MediaMonkey as there rarely are spam messages, this used to be different before they implemented it.

And welcome aboard!
psyXonova

Post by psyXonova »

I welcome you to the MM community as well...
As a biologist (too) I must admit that I agree with you.
But as Lownader said... this has been discussed before with no results
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Welcome indeed! Always nice to have another person realise that MediaMonkey is the way forward! :)

Is there a proper term instead of monkey which covers them all?
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Sebastian78

Post by Sebastian78 »

Primate....

BUT MediaPrimate doesn't sound, well, it doesn't sound that great.

What I think our new biologisk friend wants, is for the MM Team to use pictures of only monkeys.

:P
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

sure is good to see new users see the apes and monkeys it shows we are all smart. 8)

but how many of you seen / reconized oliver's photo?

yep it is him he is the only chimp to have that profile and his ears on his head like that.

oliver is about 45 yrs old now maybe 50?

just seen a show where they did the new y cromizon test on him to find out where his dad was from.

they located his mom as in central part of africa.
and they also located his dad as in the same general area.
which means he is not a missing link. it just proves he is a different looking but completely chimp, chimpanzie and just happens to beable to stand up right and walk.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
toxboy

Post by toxboy »

At one level I don't really care if we group them and call them "monkeys". I do agree Media Primate does not work! Just commenting that the expected response gave me pause. I don't understand the comment about it "being lost internationally". Perhaps there is a pattern of calling all primates monkeys other places (outside USA), however that does not make it correct. Enough, I won't continue with this already flogged and dead horse (or primate, as the case my be :)

I do LOVE the program. This is by far the best music player/database I have ever used. It seems that my quest is similar to others voiced here. I was using Jukebox and just got tired of all the problems. I don't even have a large music library by the standards of this group (somewhere between 2500-3000 songs), and still Jukebox gave me fits!

I have looked around about features to expect in Version 3. I found a lot of info on the various forums, especially on the WishList. The one question I do have that I have not been able to track down and don't know who to ask, is this: Is it projected that version 3.0 will still work with WIN 98? My music computer is an old Pentium II, runs the current version of MM fine, if some batch processes are slow. I probably will not upgrade that particular computer, one on my home network, for a while, so this my influence my decision about my planned upgrade. Anybody with any insight or info?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I tried to say that people who are less proficient in English might not see a difference between monkey and ape. In most language I assume that the 2 are different, but in regular use most people probably don't know the difference. I for example know that the 2 are different, but wouldn't be able to say which is which. The solution would be easy though as they would just need to say: select all monkeys and apes.

As for Win 98 support there is no insight on that on the forum. In my opinion Win 98 (and Win ME) should no longer be supported if it limits the functionality that MediaMonkey could otherwise implement. I base this opinion on the fact that Microsoft no longer supports these OS's. Of course this would be bad news for those who use old hardware (the rest should upgrade to a newer version of Windows). Windows itself is a good example of backward compatibility, it results in bloat and older technologies.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

give me the money and i'll upgrade from win98.

but as for if it will work or not i don't see why it won't
if it does not then i will just keep this or one of the older versions on my win9x systems and the new one on this xp cmputer

yes i have all 3 os's rather my sister does but she won't buy another xp and i don't have the money.

still the jukebox computer i am running is her win98 computer.
so if toxboy reads my bug reports and other messages he will see what i have run into with win98 and monkey running 24 / 7 or 22 / 7.

and what i get when i edit many songs properties at once in win98.

but still it is now working 99% of the time with out errors.
8) :)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.