Error rebuilding DB [#20908]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Panchdara

Error rebuilding DB [#20908]

Post by Panchdara »

application error when trying to rebuild database - this forum does not allow images to be included and I ain't got any place to send the images.... so, take my word for it - there uis an application error in 3019 when attempting to rebuild db.
Lowlander

Re: Error rebuilding DB

Post by Lowlander »

You can post screenshots on the forum, and you can also add them to a Support Ticket.

Are you saying this working pre-3019, but now broke on 3019? Which rebuild option did you use? If Rebuild database, does Optimize database also fail?
davewaave

Post by davewaave »

Same crashing issues here, consistently crashes when try to do db cleanup and even backup.

Is MM for sale?

I have been a loyal monkey for many years (going back to v2.5.1 maybe earlier) and candidly the jump to v5/2024, has been a nightmare. I've had lots of issues including corrupted music files, mostly tag issues I think. I've spent a great amount of time correcting the damage and trying to troubleshoot if the problems are due to my input. Some probably. Not the vast majority.

I don't wish to bash MM, clearly this is my go to app for music and with MMA. So, what gives?

Finally, to all that have worked on MM, thank you.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

We have no reports of file corruptions. Can you please provide more details on this? What feature(s) cause this and what file type(s) are affected? We'd like to get to the bottom of this before a final 2024 release.

Do note that MediaMonkey 5.1/2024 have been beta release, which may contain bugs. We value the community testing these releases and providing debug logs (step 4b) when they come across an issue.
davewaave

Post by davewaave »

Thanks for the quick response. I've had many files (thousands) that became damaged in many ways;
-tags get jumbled, losing some data and all data in many cases, all formats
-trying to implement album art has caused many files to seem to get confused with lots of different album art showing up in the tag notably even when I'd manually cleared them out.
-many files reported incorrect file sizes, 4 gb for a 5 minute .wav
- and the crashes, repeated inconsistently yet consistent. For example for every hour I've had MM running it will begin slowing down, becoming unresponsive then throw exceptions and offer safe mode 2 or 3 times. Closing MM doesn't resolve the underlying problem and upon loading MM again, less stability. I have to reboot computer
-fyi, my system is hp z4g4,xeon 2135, 32g ram. MM is the only program that causes issues, so at least from my perspective, the hardware shouldn't be issue. My sanity perhaps but not my system!
And yes, I appreciate that it's a beta, that's why I've had good backups to pluck from when files become unplayable or just tag-dead.
I'm trying to help with the above and not bash. Plz advise if this is not helpful.
Thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Unfortunately that doesn't help much trying to troubleshoot this, but:

1. WAV has very poor tagging support, which means a lot of metadata is stored in the database only. A format like FLAC would be better, as it still has the same lossless audio quality, but has full tagging support.

2. Artwork for WAV is always external Artwork. It sounds like you're having issues with rescan picking up Artwork. When using external Artwork you'll need to have proper Album tagging and have per Album folders for the media file and the Artwork file.

3. Where are these sizes reported? Only MediaMonkey, or also in File Explorer? Which version of Windows?

4. The crashes have been observed on Build 3019? Some significant changes were made regarding memory management in build 3019 (which may result in other things breaking). If you're seeing this on Build 3019, please capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643 These logs are essential in getting user issues fixed.
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

I'm getting a crash every time I try to rebuild the database on 3019 too:

These are my settings under Manage Database:

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

As requested above, please provide full debug log to Support.
davewaave

Post by davewaave »

Lowlander wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:53 pm Unfortunately that doesn't help much trying to troubleshoot this, but:

1. WAV has very poor tagging support, which means a lot of metadata is stored in the database only. A format like FLAC would be better, as it still has the same lossless audio quality, but has full tagging support.
---- Yes, I'd previously converted all my cd rips (via EAC-accuraterip) to FLAC, then went down rabbit hole that even though FLAC are bit for bit the same when uncompressed, that in the act of uncompressing I'd read of sound change due to the processing that it takes to uncompress vs. WAV - (psaudio youtube). So that is unresolved for me but I am aware of the benefits to using FLAC.

2. Artwork for WAV is always external Artwork. It sounds like you're having issues with rescan picking up Artwork. When using external Artwork you'll need to have proper Album tagging and have per Album folders for the media file and the Artwork file.
--- OK, not sure that is my issue, I have artwork either from when I actually ripped the cds, or from MM, exclusively. The albums are all in folders "V:\0 MUSIC\Albums\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Artist> - <Album> - <Track #:2> - <Title>"

3. Where are these sizes reported? Only MediaMonkey, or also in File Explorer? Which version of Windows?
---- Win 11 current, file sizes incorrect in both MM and windows explorer, and as compared to the back up files showing correct values

4. The crashes have been observed on Build 3019? Some significant changes were made regarding memory management in build 3019 (which may result in other things breaking). If you're seeing this on Build 3019, please capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643 These logs are essential in getting user issues fixed.
---- Yes, worse in Build 3019. Crashes have been throughout the v5/2024 run. Regarding stability, I can say that 3018 and 3019 are worse than 3005. Build 3005 seemed to not suffer from the glitchy responses as much as current, noting that prior to 3005, in the v5 era the program was not useable for me due to slow and unreliable responses that led to hangs and crashes. I went back to v4.1 until 3005. Maybe something slipped back in, in the excitement of getting out of beta?

Also the picture posted by tbm72 here, is similar to my crash notifications.
-----------------
I just cleared my database after exporting the playlists and am now letting MM search for the music. Will report when done.

??

davewaave

Post by davewaave »

Nope, clearing the db made no difference, finished the music import, tried to backup, and crashed again. Didn't bother with db maintenance, usually takes 6 to 10 minutes to do, will do that later.

Thanks again for the efforts.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1. It's like ZIP file compression, no data is lost when doing this. So FLAC = WAV as far as audio quality.

2. In that case, check where the Artworks are stored that have been associated. Are they from the Album folder?

3. Is this something reproducible? If so, please capture this in a debug log.

4. Did you report it before 3019? Without logs these issues may not get resolved as they may be specific to your setup.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Database maintenance issue reproduced and tracked here: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20908
davewaave

Post by davewaave »

1. It's like ZIP file compression, no data is lost when doing this. So FLAC = WAV as far as audio quality.
---- OK, think it would probably make my life easier :)
2. In that case, check where the Artworks are stored that have been associated. Are they from the Album folder?
----Yes they are in the each album folder
3. Is this something reproducible? If so, please capture this in a debug log.
----Well the crashes are, the lagging just happens, but seems to develop when sorting columns/files the cursor becomes unresponsive and I must hit the escape button for it to respond
4. Did you report it before 3019? Without logs these issues may not get resolved as they may be specific to your setup.
---- Yes went through the search and crash issues maybe a year ago, gave up, and went back to v4. (note that I see my acct shows few posts, I think I might have had to recreate account at some point, but yes I believe we previously spoke here about similar issues. And point taken re debug, see below plz
------------
Regarding "debug," can you confirm that those debug reports don't scrape a bunch of data from my system unintentionally not related to MM? Privacy concerns...

Again, thank you.
Lowlander

Re: Error rebuilding DB [#20908]

Post by Lowlander »

2. If the Artwork that you're not expecting is in the Album folder you'll need to disable Scan file directories for Artwork. It automatically picks up external Artwork files.

5. That depends on other apps. Generally this wouldn't be the case. You can see in DebugView what's captured.
davewaave

Re: Error rebuilding DB [#20908]

Post by davewaave »

2. If the Artwork that you're not expecting is in the Album folder you'll need to disable Scan file directories for Artwork. It automatically picks up external Artwork files.
---Will do

5. That depends on other apps. Generally this wouldn't be the case. You can see in DebugView what's captured.
[/quote]
----Will look into it. I need to download the debug build. Cannot finish this today, but will when possible.
Appreciate your patience here.
Dave