[3018] Runaway CPU

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

lindholm

[3018] Runaway CPU

Post by lindholm »

Twice now I've noticed MM using a lot of cpu while idle, basically one cpu.

I've try and capture a debug log the next time
Rob_S

Re: [3018] Runaway CPU

Post by Rob_S »

That is interesting, I was just going to post about the same thing, also MM3018

I had it running for long enough to play about 5 tracks to my Chromecast speaker, then let it finish at the end of the plying list.

Went to check on RAM useage, and founs about 100kb similarly for windows explorer, and about 500 kb for brave browser

Looked at CPU useage, and found two instances one at 5% and one around 15% CPU. Thinking these were background processes which would finish shortly, I went away for an hour came back and still going around 20% total some times switching high % to the other instance and back again.

Later restarted MM, played a track let it end, and both instances went to 0% very quickly

This being on a newer HP laptop, with Ryzen 5000 series chip and Windows 11.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643

This will help a developer analyze why this happens on your setup.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Restarted my laptop after having it sleep for several hours, now it (3019) is running my CPU at 25% even though the app was closed, ie no longer active on the toolbar, before putting it to sleep.

My fan was going so I checked my task manager, and there is a MM2024 process running at 20%.

I restarted MM, saw three processes, waited for startup scan to finish, shut it down, and one task was still remaining.

The only way to lose the remaining task was "end Task". This has never happend before 3018/3019.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you close MediaMonkey properly or did it crash prior to this?
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

No, in this case I think the PC was put to sleep after Mm was closed.

I had another instance just after installing MM2019 where Windows crashed, and needed a hard reset to restart, but so far not reproducible.

I will keep eye open for reproducible circumstances - one of which is as follows.

Mediamonkey open maximized (full screen) playing or NOT playing foreground or background behind other maximized apps, uses about 15-20% CPU on my system, total of both open processes, and continues to do so even if left for quite some time

Minimized or Windowed (less than full-screen, but still foreground or background) , and playing to my Chromecast speakers it gets down to 1.5% or less

Minimized, or Windowed - not playing, it goes to ZERO very quickly.

So, for some reason, the maximized state uses way more CPU!!!
Last edited by Rob_S on Mon May 06, 2024 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Debug logs (step 4b) will be important to resolve this. 3019 is a significant update regarding memory management, so debug logs for crashes are really valued.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Please re-read my last edited post, and try the maximized state, and watch task manager, see what it does for you. I don't think any debug log is required, as there is no crash.

I have had no further instances of process left in memory after closing.
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

I have MMW 2019 maximised idle on a Win10 i5 Surface Book and Task Manager reports 0% to 1% as you would expect. Config is in the sig block.
Matt
MM 2024.3019 (WEF 4 May 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 27K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I have tested this several times now, and on my system it always happens.

Anytime MM2024 3019 is put into full screen mode, the CPU goes up to about 20% continuously. I have tried this with other web based apps such as Edge browser, Brave Browser, etc and none of them do this.

I noticed when viewing the "details" tab of the Task manager, that the memory allocation for both of the MM processes keeps shifting when in full screen mode, and stays stable when in windowed or minimized mode.

It does not seem to matter what else I have open/running at the time

My system is a newish HP laptop, with all 14k tracks on internal SSD, most in mp3 format, 2tb SSD, Ryzen 5 chip, and windows 11 pro, with all updates.

Can anyone else confirm or deny this??
CrashMonkey

Post by CrashMonkey »

For me most instances for the "Runaway CPU" is that mediamonkey repairs/optimize/backups the database is the background. While that is done, it is not show in the status bar below in mediamonkey. (Would be handy that it would be displayed there)
You can check if that is the case for example with: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_activity_watch.html

I did also test the Party Mode a few hours with a few restarts in between.
Seen in that time, one time, that after going to Party Mode, mediamonkeyengine.exe kept using between 15 to 22% of cpu. And stayed that way until i exited party mode. In that time no write actions to disk. And checked with ProcMon64 to see if any other Operations where taking place, but was not the case.
So i assume there is indeed something that triggers the cpu usage during Partymode, or exiting from it.
Last edited by CrashMonkey on Thu May 09, 2024 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

So, is it true that nobody besides myself is experiencing high CPU showing in task manager when open full-screen, which goes away when opened as a window or minimized????
CrashMonkey

Post by CrashMonkey »

CrashMonkey wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:15 am I did also test the Party Mode a few hours with a few restarts in between.
Seen in that time, one time, that after going to Party Mode, mediamonkeyengine.exe kept using between 15 to 22% of cpu. And stayed that way until i exited party mode.
You might have missed my reply earlier. (Note i also know that your last reply was moved from the other topic to here.)
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

So did you also try exactly what I described?

Open MM full screen , no auto DJ or anything, observe CPU usage.

Then reduce Mm to windowed, and observe CPU usage again??

Return to full screen, and for me the CPU immediately jumps again.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Installed V3020 non-debug normal install this morning. By the way, for several attempts, it failed to copy helper.dll until I restarted the PC, and only then it would install.

Also, after the install, it popped up a dialog saying that network access was blocked on private and public networks with only the option to allow or cancel. Took me a while to find the "more details" button which then allowed the choice of opening private networks only. Why is that choice not on the first dialog for all to see????

And last but not least the CPU useage is a bit worse than build 3019. When I open it in windowed mode, and after a minute or so, my total cpu sits around 2-3% steady. Whe I switch up to full screen, without playing or doing anything else, my CPU immediately pops up to around 30%, and goes back down if I reduce to windowed mode.

System specs were provided earlier in this thread.