Tag Update Failed: [filename}.flac is inaccessible

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

tommyfs

Tag Update Failed: [filename}.flac is inaccessible

Post by tommyfs »

I'm using latest version of MM5. Program works great, except for the tag update problem, which occurs when I try it on 1 or 2 files, or on all 1860 files in my Library. Does it sound like a Permission issue?
Barry4679

Re: Tag Update Failed: [filename}.flac is inaccessible

Post by Barry4679 »

Yes it sounds as if MM can read your tracks, but does does not have permission to update them.
  • all tracks that you have scanned into MM are indexed by your MM database
  • that database stores info about each track, physical info like file name and track duration, and also the track's metadata, eg album name, artist name, track name, genre, etc etc
  • when you use MM to retag a track, that action updates the metadata tag in the MM database
  • and if you have the "Update tags when editing properties" option checked at Tools>Options>Library>Tags&Properties, then that updated piece of metadata is also stored into your music track
I assume that the error message indicates that MM cannot update your track, eg. maybe the track is stored on a NAS and you haven't provided Windows with credentials to open the music share with update rights?

MM doesn't need to store updated metadata back to your tracks. It uses its own version of the metadata when you are using MM to play tracks, or browse then, or build playlists, etc etc.
Having the metadata in the tracks is useful when accessing them outside of MM, or if your MM database becomes corrupted
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What Path is the file located at? For example, you can't edit files from a DLNA Media Server and some portable devices.
tommyfs

Post by tommyfs »

Path is, for example, C:\User\Tom\Music\Folder1\MyFunnyValentine.flac. C:\ is SSD Drive and "Music" is a System File.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Does that file play in MediaMonkey?
tommyfs

Post by tommyfs »

Yes, the file plays normally.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then I recommend trying with the latest MediaMonkey 2024 beta, it may fix this issue for you.
tommyfs

Post by tommyfs »

Can't hurt to try it! I'll give it a shot and report back.
tommyfs

Post by tommyfs »

Bingo! Edit tags executed flawlessly on all 1800+ files on my Desktop; or at the least, no errors were reported. I'll try it out on my Laptop next -- that's my "working gig" PC -- and will report any abnormalities. Thanks, L.
tommyfs

Post by tommyfs »

Sorry Lowlander, but I gave you incorrect information. After executing the latest 2024 beta on my “working PC” (Desktop), I added a few new files and some updated files, ran Add/Rescan, and found every file in my library had the correct path (C:\User\tsoca\Music\filename.flac). So I did not run the Edit Tags tool.

I then copied the Desktop’s MM5.db to my “gig PC” Laptop plus the same aforementioned new and updated files, ran the Locate Missing Files tool, and found 19 files (out of a total of 1,860) had an incorrect path:
[0A31-490D]\Users\Tom\Music\filename.flac. (Don’t know if it makes a difference, but notice the difference in the User’s name – Tom vs tsoca on every Library file).

I checked the Properties of a “bad” file vs a “good” file using explorer and found no differences, such as read-only (not checked). Back to the Desktop, I ran the Edit Tags tool, and to my surprise, every file in the Library threw the error “Tag Update Failed; file not accessible.” If it’s a permission issue on the Laptop, why are only 1% of the files affected?

As I mentioned in a previous post, I can edit the Laptop path properties manually, but that’s getting tedious every time I add or modify a file.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Does laptop also have latest 2024?

Anyway, are the Paths different, if not, you should re=assign drive instead of Locate Moved/Missing Files.

More on migrating: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... w_computer
tommyfs

Post by tommyfs »

Yes, both Desktop and Laptop have new 2024 Beta. Paths are indeed slightly different, leading me to wonder, if instead of re-assigning drive, I simply create the correct matching path on the Desktop, and move all media files to the new path. Then Locate Moved/Missing... on the Desktop.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The easiest is to use the exact same Paths (drive letter excluded), so you just re-assign drive.

If you can't, please capture the failure of Locate Moved/Missing Files to match those couple files in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643
tommyfs

Post by tommyfs »

The paths on the Desktop and the Laptop are definitely not the same, leaving re-assigning drive not a viable option. I've installed the new debug Beta version on both PCs, but reading thru the Debug material has me totally confused -- I'm a musician not a technician. What I'm still very confused about when using Locate Moved/Missing...is that of 1800+ music files, only about 25 files end up with drive "name" instead of the Drive letter (C:/).

Wouldn't a much simpler solution be to abandon the Desktop-to-Laptop transfer technique, use the L/T's keyboard
or purchase an external keyboard for the Laptop, do all the new files and updates, etc. on the Laptop, with no transfer or migration needed?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No migration is the easiest, next easiest is where both devices use the same Paths. The worst option of the 3 is where Paths differ.

You can capture the Locate Moved/Missing Files missing the 25 files in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643 For debugging it may be easiest if the log captures Locate Moved/Missing Files on just those 25 files not found.