Album art search breaking google search

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

pbpb

Album art search breaking google search

Post by pbpb »

I believe that automatic album art retrieval may have angered the Google Gods. I noticed yesterday that album art searches were taking forever and never completing. Today, when attempting a Google search from a Windows PC, Google is requiring captchas because:

""Unusual traffic from your computer network" If devices on your network seem to be sending automated traffic to Google, you might see "Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network.""

Since I see no other programs that could be causing repeated programmatic google searches, the fickle finger of fate has come around to rest on MMA. I'm using beta 938.

Is MMA using Google to find album art?
Peke

Re: Album art search breaking google search

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Yes but only during Playback not 10k+ queries a second.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
pbpb

Post by pbpb »

Thanks, but is that 10k number based on knowing what Google's thresholds are, or just supposition? The coincidence is suspicious.

Then again, it's not clear what Google means when they say "your network." If they mean all of Comcast (my isp), or a particular branch thereof, then maybe what I observed on MMA was a symptom of Google blocking me, rather than the cause.

As far as bug/suggestion, it would be nice if I could see what MMA was actually doing. And, there appeared to be no timeout for the album art search. In the past, my observation is that it spends some time looking, but eventually gives up in less than a minute or so. Google was probably returning the captcha instead of search results, and that may have caused failure to time out? Even worse, maybe it triggered multiple retries?
rusty

Post by rusty »

pbpb,

Build 938 is an outdated build of MMA (the latest beta is 1171, soon to be replaced with a new beta build). Does the issue occur once you've updated?

Jimmersd,
Your report was an MMW issue. I've moved it to the appropriate forum at https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=106047

-Rusty
pbpb

Post by pbpb »

I haven't used the windows version in ages, so I don't know, and I am too lazy at this point to check now that it's 4 years later. But thanks for looking at the bug report. As far as I'm concerned you can close it.