Deleting Duplicate Songs

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Clevelandkid

Deleting Duplicate Songs

Post by Clevelandkid »

Hello,

I am attempting to clean up my MMW music library, before I do a Sync. to my WWA phone, and I am following the instruction provided by the Media Monkey Wiki.

Following those instructions on deleting duplicates, all seems to be progressing well so far.
As per the directions " In the Tree, go to the library > Files to Edit > Duplicate content node." (my selection) and was prompted to analyze my library for duplicates.
After the Analysis was completed, I was instructed to click the '+' to show which tracks were found to be duplicated.
At that point, a list of songs titles appeared on the left side of the screen showing the song titles and artist names in duplicate and was told to manually delete the tracks that I no longer require.

As I click on the songs in the list, and they appear in the box to the right, the titles and paths show, and I select which duplicated title I want deleted from that screen.
After it highlights and right clicking it, I would select "remove" from the drop-down menu and would the song then become deleted back over on my "entire library's " screen?

Your guidance is most appreciated.

Best regards,
CK
Lowlander

Re: Deleting Duplicate Songs

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, deleting from Duplicate Content deletes from anywhere in MediaMonkey.
Clevelandkid

Post by Clevelandkid »

Hi,
I followed the directions on finding duplicates, and now have a list of those duplicated song titles as described that I would see in the instructions.

It shows that the paths listed with each duplicated song is :

C:\users\david\downloads\ (with the song title)
and
C:\users\david\music\ (with the song title)

My question would be, which would be the best one to delete? and the one to retain, with it's advantages?

There would be only one scenario where I would keep both duplicated songs and that would be in case of a short and long version of the same song.

Thanks, and regards,
CK
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It doesn't matter for MediaMonkey, but presumably you'd want to keep the copy in the music folder and delete the copy in the downloads folder.