Multi-disc CD collections not separating by disc number

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

mglinzak

Multi-disc CD collections not separating by disc number

Post by mglinzak »

I've transferred a large Windows Media collection of CD's into the latest portable version of MM5 on Windows 11. A number of the CD's are from multi-disc sets but were originally catalogued as individual discs in WM. An example would be if Artist: Beatles issued a collection of 3 CD's titled "Our Best Songs" and denoting them as Disc 1, 2, and 3. They were originally ripped, each disc into its own separate directory. When imported into the MM library, I get 3 separate albums shown, with artwork, in the Albums or Artists nodes.
I went to the tracks for each separate disc and, using Properties, entered the correct disc # for each track. Many collections do as I wish in that they all end up under a single icon in albums or artists with all 3 discs shown separately as Disc 1, 2, and 3 and the corresponding tracks listed below. IE, Beatles; "Our Best Songs"; Disc 1, tracks 1-xx; Disc 2, tracks 1-xx; Disc 3, tracks 1-xx.
Many of the collections did what I want, but several will not break up the long list of tracks by Disc #. I've been very careful to make sure Album, Album Artist, Year, Original Year are exact across all discs. Not all discs started with the same artwork due to changes that occurred during Auto-Tag when the music was originally imported into MM, if that matters.
What am I doing wrong as I get the results I want only sometimes?
Lowlander

Re: Multi-disc CD collections not separating by disc number

Post by Lowlander »

Did you set Album and Album Artist to the same value for all discs on the Album, and tagged Disc# correctly per disc?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

I don't think that LowLander read your whole question.

You are saying that the whole multi-disc set is listed as being part of the same single "album" successfully, but won't group itself into the individual discs?

Where do you see this? The "List (by album)" doesn't display the separate disc groupings. You are seeing this somewhere else also?

The problem persists?
IE. if you alter the disc number in a track, it appears that the change has not had the desired effect. This is because MM5 has updated the database, but has not reconfigured the display. In this case if you press F5 to force a refresh you will see the updated display, which now reflects your disc# change.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
mglinzak

Post by mglinzak »

I've got it working now. Mea Culpa and noobie user combined to create the problem. I was unaware of the "List (by album)" not displaying the whole album by individual discs. User error on my part. Thank you for the F5 refresh tip, I'm sure that contributed as I'm making dozens to hundreds of changes/updates before refreshing the database manually.
I also have a second question, noobie related, I will post separately to avoid mixing topics. Thank you for your help.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
To conclude. If Album and Album Artist same then Disk #, Track # dictate sort on Albums.
Here are example of Single artist Best of Album and Compilation Album

I am guessing that is what we all referred too?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts