Migrating back to MediaMonkey 4

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

secretsubscriber

Migrating back to MediaMonkey 4

Post by secretsubscriber »

Hello,
Is it possible to migrate back to version 4? I created quite a few playlists in 5 and I would prefer not recreating them.

Thank you
IanRTaylorUK

Re: Migrating back to MediaMonkey 4

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

One approach is to:

From MMW5 - File / Export All Playlists to a specific folder e.g. E:\Playlists. Keep an eye on the status bar "Exporting..." for completion.

From MMW4 - switch to the Playlist node and note the number of Playlists. Set your "Add / Rescan to include the specific folder for the Playlist exported. Run the scan and keep an eye on the status bar "Adding... E:\Playlists\ - Processing Playlists...". This might take a while as MMW4 is checking that the tracks in each M3U file are present in the MMW4 library!

Comments / Problems / Issues:
1). Auto Playlists with "convert" to a flat normal playlist. Suggest you prefix each Auto Playlist name with a special character like # so that they always appear at the top of the list! You can then manually create the Auto Playlists in MMW4.
2). Hierarchy of playlists will be lost. So if you have top level of Audiobooks with 2nd level as FLAC / M4B / MP3 than you will get 4 top level playlists rather than 3 below / 1 above.
3). Long Playlists e.g. Accessible Tracks take a long while to process so you might like to exclude by manually removing the M3U file from the MMW5 step before the MMW4 step.
4). You will need near perfect match of locations / libraries
5). In MMW4 ALL the imported Playlists will be under the "Imported Playlists" node.

Another approach is to try to let MMW4 "open" using the MMW5 database. I have not done this for a while so not certain if this still works.

Yet another approach - probably the least reliable - is to drag and drop M3U files from file manager to the Playlist node.

Perhaps the most reliable / controllable approach is to use an Add-on. For example, see https://zvezdan-d.github.io/MediaMonkeyAddons.html. But these add-ons are (currently) more to do with the MMW4 side of things!

Since it is possible to use both MMW4 and MMW5 pointing at the same drives / folders (or a clone / copy on different PCs) then you might want to consider this. In this case, I would consider only maintaining Playlists on one of the PCs but using the export for back-up purposes. In my use case, I use Playlists to synchronise my devices - so it is the PC I use for synching that I maintain my Playlists.
Ian Taylor
Dryst

Re: Migrating back to MediaMonkey 4

Post by Dryst »

IanRTaylorUK wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:05 am Since it is possible to use both MMW4 and MMW5 pointing at the same drives / folders (or a clone / copy on different PCs) then you might want to consider this. In this case, I would consider only maintaining Playlists on one of the PCs but using the export for back-up purposes. In my use case, I use Playlists to synchronise my devices - so it is the PC I use for synching that I maintain my Playlists.
This is the approach that I take, and I would suggest that you consider it. MMW4 never crashes, but Last.fm does not work properly at all. I tried everything I can think of, but it simply does not work.