Slow view update when replacing files via organize in a large list.

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Riegelstriegel

Slow view update when replacing files via organize in a large list.

Post by Riegelstriegel »

Hi,

I noticed that the library view does not (or maybe very very slowly) get updated when I use "organize files" to replace other files in my library.

Here is a detailed explanation:
I often search for duplicates by browsing my library with approximately 270.000 files in a single list view.
I use "Entire Library -> artist node" with List view for that. No column filter.

When I have found a duplicate album, I may use Ctrl+R "organize files" on the preferred version of the album to overwrite the redundant files. I choose "Yes to all" when asked whether to overwrite the existing files.
Example: I have an album in 320kbit and 128kbit and want to overwrite the lower bit rate. I prefer the folder location of the lower bit rate version, that's why I use organize/overwrite instead of simply deleting the 128kbit files.

After the moving and replacing process is physically finished, I wait for the library view to update but it does not happen, even after waiting for several minutes. Hitting F5 fixes the problem.

When working in a list view with only a few files (~100), the view update works fine after replacing files. It still feels a bit sluggish, but it does finish after a few seconds.

I'm on the latest build 2832, but I have been noticing the issue for a long time. I simply never reported it until now. It's not a deal breaker but it would be nice if there was a solution for it.
If you need anything else from me, just ask.

And as always, thanks for everything! :-)
Lowlander

Re: Slow view update when replacing files via organize in a large list.

Post by Lowlander »

Please capture these issues in debug logs (step 4b) and attach the logs to Support Tickets: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643

This will help a developer analyze why this happens on your setup.
Riegelstriegel

Post by Riegelstriegel »

I just installed the debug version and tried to reproduce the problem directly after starting MM. And suddenly it worked fine. So it is one of those issues that hide when they are feeling watched...
I will keep Debug View running and try to capture the problem regardless but it may be a mega-sized log that isn't half helpful.
I also will pay attention to what steps might be required to reproduce that phenomenon. Hopefully I can isolate it further.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you save the log right after the event occurs, then it will be useful as the developers know where to look. You can also clear Debug View once in a while (although sometimes the large log can help go back to where the actual issue started, which can be long before you experience its consequences).
Riegelstriegel

Post by Riegelstriegel »

Speaking of issues that hide when they are feeling watched. Could it be that the debug version and the non-debug version actually behave differently??

I have another bug that I was about to report, that is definitely present in the non-debug version but seems to be fixed in the debug version. Both exe files say they are build 2832.

I always could reproduce the following problem with the non-debug version at some point
- I click on File A and shift click on file C to select Files A, B, C.
- I click on file D. Only File D is highlighted.
- Now I shift click on File F. Not only D, E, F are selected but the selection expands from F back to A, selecting A,B,C,D,E,F.

I repeatedly switched between the debug version and non-debug version. The problem is definitely not present in the debug version.

Now I am unsure if I even can reproduce the initial problem (slow view update) with the debug version.
Can you shed some light on the differences between the debug and non-debug version or do you have an explanation why they behave differently?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

They should be the same apart from the debugging part. Does the problem return when you install the regular version again?
Riegelstriegel

Post by Riegelstriegel »

As far as for the first problem (view update on replacing files) I am not sure yet because it is harder to reproduce. I will let you know when I was able to reproduce it with the debug version and capture it in a log.

Regarding the second problem (previously selected file not properly cleared) I am almost 100% positive that it changes with the installed MM version. I installed debug and non-debug alternately for a few times and every time I had the same results.
I obviously can't capture it in a log, but if you like I will record a video and open a Helpdesk ticket.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

A Screencast may help identify the problem. Strange that it doesn't happen in the debug version.
Riegelstriegel

Post by Riegelstriegel »

Hi Lowlander, I opened Ticket #6774 and attached a video. I am very curious what you say! :D