Moved to a new PC and totally confused

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Kap1A

Moved to a new PC and totally confused

Post by Kap1A »

Moved to the new PC. Installed my backup DB from the old PC and the other files (.json,ini, etc.) like it was recommended.

Started MM5 and put in the licence key for gold.

The new drive with the copied audio files is there.

And now, I'm confused. How and where can I tell MM5 that the library is now on the new drive. It only sees the old drive (which is no more connected to the new PC). I think this is because I copied also the old .ini from the old PC?

At this stage I did no scan, so I guess that it also didn't see the covers in the files at this moment.

So how can I point MMW5 tothe right drive?
MMA 2.0.0.1174 + MMW5 + Orbsmart S86 pro ( android 9) + Orbsmart remote AM1 pro + Nova-Launcher + Moto E22 (android 12) Teufel One M + Teufel One S + Teufel Supreme On Bluetooth
Lowlander

Re: Moved to a new PC and totally confused

Post by Lowlander »

Please see: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... w_computer

After moving the database to a new PC you need to re-assign drive, as long as the Paths (drive letter doesn't matter) remain the same. Otherwise you'll need to use Locate Moved/Missing Files.
Kap1A

Post by Kap1A »

Yesterday it showed only the old drive. So I stopped and started new this morning.

It shows now both under the location. The old one without drive letter and the new one with the right drive letter.

And it shows now the covers (mostly). But I must have done something wrong. First I deleted in the dialog the old drive after I did the first scan. The path is on both drives the same.

Now I have some duplicates in there. These are only (I think) albums/tracks that I have in the normal music library AND my christmas collcection (i. e. Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Power of Love) and there is also the cover missing.

The christmas collection is in a separate folder on the new drive and the music library is in another folder. And some of the tracks are in both (as I decided) I saved all the Christmas albums/tracks as classical music, so that I can sync to my android devices separate and use the Christmas collection separately in Christmas time without hearing Christmas songs over the rest of the year. This is comfortable but now I have the duplicates in MM5 in the music collection DB.

I still have the backup of MMW5 DB but don't know where to start again to get rid of the duplicates. :o I also want to clear thos before I try to sync the androids for the first time with the new PC.
MMA 2.0.0.1174 + MMW5 + Orbsmart S86 pro ( android 9) + Orbsmart remote AM1 pro + Nova-Launcher + Moto E22 (android 12) Teufel One M + Teufel One S + Teufel Supreme On Bluetooth
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can't scan for files before you re-assign the driveID. So you should take the backup database, use it, re-assign drive then you can use MediaMonkey normally.
Kap1A

Post by Kap1A »

YES :D :D :D :D :D :D
Did it again and now it works 8)
Thank you!

The only thing that I can't remember is the thing with my Christmas collection. There are now duplicated tracks.

The whole library has some albums/tracks which are also in the Christmas collection (like Frankie goes to Hollywood - Power of Love).

For syncing I have my MusikArchiv collection which should only contain the albums/tracks marked as "music".

The Christmas collection should only contain the album/tracks marked as "classical". But now I have duplicated tracks in both as both collections show music and classical.

In the old PC that wasn't so and I don't know what's different now.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The Music Collection contains files with both Type = Music and Classical Music by default. You can change this with a Gold License.
Kap1A

Post by Kap1A »

Ok, I think I misunderstood the collection thing completely.

I have my Christmas "collection" on my drive in a FOLDER called christmas (Weihnachtsalben) . There are some tracks which are also in the main music FOLDER called "MusikArchiv". It's the same structure as before.

With the old PC I had no duplicates in these special albums. Also in MMA there are no duplicated tracks.

But in MMW5 (new PC) it shows duplicated tracks (only in albums/tracks which are in both folders (Christmas and MusikArchiv). And this is what I don't understand. I cannot tread the Christmas album/tracks like normal tracks otherwise they were synced to the android devices to the main music library and I can't filter them when listening over the year. But I want to keep both actual (music AND christmas).

When I want to see only my music (not Christmas or other) I have to use filter>path>MusiArchiv, then all shows right. But this filter is every time gone when I use MMW5 the next time.

The collection thing (as you piontedl may work for MMW5 what I understand but not after syncing in android (is that right?).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are there actually duplicate files (they show with different Paths in MediaMonkey)? Screenshots may help explain the problem better.
Kap1A

Post by Kap1A »

Yes, I will try tomorrow to make some screenshots.
Kap1A

Post by Kap1A »

This is the main view I used before when working in MMW5 (see also left). Before switching to new PC I had no dublicates here

The same here (as for christmas albums , where I had no duplicates before).

Now the same with the path. This one example for all the other tracks or even whole albums which are duplicated now in both.

I can only see it right by using the "music" (Musik) collection by using the filter. But the filter disappear everytime I open MMW5.
without the filter:

with the filter:
apendice auf deutsch
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You show actual duplicate files, thus you likely had the Path filter set in your Collection. You'll need to do this again to filter out the duplicate copy not wanted in that specific Collection.
Kap1A

Post by Kap1A »

Ok I have to deal with it to understand all, as it's different to the behavior before.

For now it seems to work. And I'm no longer use the folder view. As long as syncing works like before it's ok. :)

Maybe I should quit my job so that I have more time to learn about MediaMonkey. :lol:
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I am curious where is your actual Media files reside eg. F:\MusikArchiv\......? and if yes then:

1. What is the folder F:\Weihnachtsalben\..... is for?

2. Is it part of library or just folder you created to store files fro Weihnachtsalben list that actually initially originated from F:\MusikArchiv\......?

3. If F:\MusikArchiv\...... hold your source media library files why you even scanned rest of folders in MM library?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Kap1A

Post by Kap1A »

Peke wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:32 pm Hi,
I am curious where is your actual Media files reside eg. F:\MusikArchiv\......? and if yes then:

1. What is the folder F:\Weihnachtsalben\..... is for?

2. Is it part of library or just folder you created to store files fro Weihnachtsalben list that actually initially originated from F:\MusikArchiv\......?

3. If F:\MusikArchiv\...... hold your source media library files why you even scanned rest of folders in MM library?
Yes, the main collection of mp3 files is in MusikArchiv. This collection has grown up over the last 25 years. This is for daily listening .

>1. Weihnachtsalben is my Christmas album/tracks collection. This is separated as I don't want to have it in the normal collection and I can't separate them on my android devices. So I set them all to classical music and sync them to my android devices and can listen to the normal collection over the year and in Christmas time the Christmas collection. As I often listen to the tracks randomly this works now. And I don't want to sync my christmas collection new every year.

>2. No, the Christmas songs were never part of the main collection, only some tracks which might be tracks for Christmas time (see above).

>3. The other folders on F:\ contain different soundfiles like wave files of soundscapes and field-recording. It is my "other" archive on F: and it is recognised by MMW5, but not used in MMW5.

I'd like to have my separated sound file folders to keep it clear on the hard drive.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

As mentioned, you can do so by using the Path Criteria in Collections.

Also if Christmas music is Type = Classical you can remove Type = Classical from the Music Collection to hide these files.