[Bug] Files are imported but not shown in collection

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

BunnyGandhi

[Bug] Files are imported but not shown in collection

Post by BunnyGandhi »

So I had noticed that some of my folders have more files in Windows Explorer than in MediaMonkey.
Rescanning the Folder does nothing.
However, renaming a missing file and rescanning will find it
Which will suddenly make MediaMonkey realize it knew about the file all alongand prompt to remove the - now missing - file from the database

This seems quite obviously buggy. Apparently MediaMonkey adds some files to the library and then simply does not list/display them. Rescanning does nothing. Neither does deleting and re-adding the folder to the database. Renaming (potentially other "updates" to the file. Don't know - only tried renaming.) the file enables it to be properly scanned and added - it can be re-re-named to it's original name and remain in the library.

Please fix. I'm gonna have to manually go through quite a lot of files now to figure out which ones are missing and do the little rename-dance to have them added. I'm scared of ever having to rebuild the database and potentially having the problem reset, forcing me to re-do the tedium of finding, renaming, rescanning and then re-re-naming.
Peke

Re: [Bug] Files are imported but not shown in collection

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I am not being able to replicate that behavior, but based on past feedback on similar issues, it is very possible that track was assigned to different Type eg. like Classical, but it belongs to Music. To confirm that Please enable entire library Collection (Tools -> Options -> Library -> Collections) in Tree and then Search for the file to see if it is really missing or not.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
BunnyGandhi

Post by BunnyGandhi »

Peke wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:12 pm Hi,
I am not being able to replicate that behavior, but based on past feedback on similar issues, it is very possible that track was assigned to different Type eg. like Classical, but it belongs to Music. To confirm that Please enable entire library Collection (Tools -> Options -> Library -> Collections) in Tree and then Search for the file to see if it is really missing or not.
I kinda finished the renaming dance an hour or two after writing the post (good folder structure made the task handleable if still time intensive) so I'm not sure I can help with that now but I'll keep it in mind should it happen again when I import in the future.

Why do you think the file would not be categorized the same way when I rescan after adding a 1 or an a to the name so the rescan will notice it?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Use the Entire Library Collection when you seem to be missing files, especially the Location sub-node is useful as it would show the same folder as in File Explorer.

As Peke mentioned, it's often because a file has either the wrong tags (so it won't show when viewing the Album for example), because it has the wrong Type, or because the Collection Criteria have been adjusted by the user excluding the file(s).