Portable Option Obscured on Setup Screen

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

MattTown

Portable Option Obscured on Setup Screen

Post by MattTown »

Hi,
for about half a year now the setup screen for MM has had the Portable option partially obscured. It still works, but it can be hard to select the tick box when it started small and only half of it is there now.
Ticket #6696 submitted with pic.
System configuration is as per the sig block.
Cheers
Matt
MM 2024.3003 (WEF 9 Mar 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 25K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.
Lowlander

Re: Portable Option Obscured on Setup Screen

Post by Lowlander »

Anything particular about you screen setup? Resolution, DPI or Text Size settings in Windows?
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

Hi Lowlander

Version is 2829. Here's an image of the screen resolution:

This is basically the 3000x2000 default of the Surface Book screen, plus a 250% magnification of the text to make it easier for me to read.

My recollection is that I've had this installation Portable tick box visibilitty problem with MM installation for as long as I've been running MM off the MS Surface Book laptop, and I haven't changed the Windows Magnification setting over that time.

I decided to test the magnification setting: when I reduced the magnification to 150% the obscuration was less, and with 100% scaling (ie no magnification) the installation screen had full view of the Portable button, even if the installation screen was then unusably small. So the effect seems to be tied to the Windows Scaling setting (Windows > Settings > System > Display > Scale and Layout), so I suppose that a resultion will depend on what proportion of your user demographic has high mileage vision :)

Cheers

Matt
MM 2024.3003 (WEF 9 Mar 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 25K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you change MM shortcut icon Properties -> Compatibility -> Change high DPI settings and few other settings in compatibility Tab to see if any one makes difference?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

Peke,
Thanks for the suggestions but I'm reluctant to try altering the screen DPI. The dialog box in that Windows11 setting specifically warns against messing with some of those settings, indicating that recovery from setting them might not be possible. I have already had to reinstall a system that became unrecoverable because of a screen resolution change during update that turned the dialog boxes tiny and unusable in the centre of the screen.
Now that I know what's happening with the Portable button of the Installation screen, I'm happy to live with the effects of the scaling that I need to make the system usable.
Thanks
Matt
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
That is why I suggested to edit compatibility at Shortcut level, cause it only affect that app only. Changing there will not affect any other app on the system.

This is normal thing for years. MS is made it possible that way and it is most noted in Games where specific settings are needed.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

Thanks Peke, happy to try it at the shortcut level, but I'm not a gamer so I will need more specific guidance.
First question, which shortcut? Because I installed MM as portable, Windows 10 doesn't offer a MM shortcut in the start menu. I've added MM by dragging in the exe file from the installation folder and then directed that to show on the taskbar, and I run it from there. Is that the shortcut that I modify with DPI settings?
And the settings themselves - there is a bunch of compatibility settings, and under the DPI Advanced option there is only an option for fixing blurriness (not a problem that needs fixing) and the same scaling control as I have described below. Which do you want me to tweak?