Can MM stop automatically adding Album Artist?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

chrisdukes

Can MM stop automatically adding Album Artist?

Post by chrisdukes »

I have hundreds of compilations and DJ mixes. Sometimes I add the DJ to the Album Artist, but a lot of times I leave the field blank. Is MM filling it automatically?

I just deleted the Album Artist field for hundreds of tracks but they starting refilling. How do I stop this?

Thanks for any help!
Last edited by chrisdukes on Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/chris_dukes
------------------------------------------------
MediaMonkey Gold Lifetime v4.1.31.1919
Discogs Tagger 5.8
Magic Nodes 6.0.0.29
Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16GB RAM
IanRTaylorUK

Re: Can MM stop automatically adding Album Artist?

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Chris,

The approach I take is to set the Album Artist field to "Various" and the Artist field to the "track artist" BEFORE I Organise using Ctrl+R!!!

In the case of multiple artists use ; as the separator and replace "Feat / with" the separator you choose. So you only have "multiple" artists in the Artist field.

Album Artist is important for me as it is used in the Organise definition. That is:

\\Network Share\Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Title>

When you get this correct, you will see both the "Various" and Specific Artist tracks under the one Artist. For example:

\ Armin van Buuren \ Universal Religion\... with say "Armin van Buuren; DJ Shah; Chris Jones" in the artist field
\ Various \ A State of Trance\... with say "Armin van Buuren; Perpetuous Dreamer" in the artist field

If you want to be pedantic, organise the Artists alphabetically in the artist field i.e. NOT Perpetuous Dreamer; Armin van Buuren. It can help on some screen when sorting / grouping / selecting.
Ian Taylor
Peke

Post by Peke »

chrisdukes wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:53 pm I have hundreds of compilations and DJ mixes. Sometimes I add the DJ to the Album Artist, but a lot of times I leave the field blank. Is MM filling it automatically?

I just deleted the Album Artist field for hundreds of tracks but they starting refilling. How do I stop this?

Thanks for any help?
You can't stop that as once Album Info is filled then if there is Album value then album must have Album Artist. Like you I have few thousands of Compilation CDs, EDMs, Promos, .... and like Ian pointed I use Various, Various Artist, Mixed, ... and other tags so that I can easily use it in Auto Playlists.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
chrisdukes

Post by chrisdukes »

Thanks for the detailed explanations. This will definitely help people looking for an explanation and solution.

For me though, it's a big pain. I only use the Album Artist field for my favorite artists; sometimes they're DJs with a lot of mixes, other times they're a single artist with multiple names (example: Norman Cook is the Album Artist for Fatboy Slim, Freak Power, and the Housemartins) or the Album Artist will be a group with members that have their own records (Example: 4Hero for Marc Claire or Dennis McFarlane records). For me, an empty Album Artist field means it's NOT a favorite artist, so it gets saved to a separate folder.

I can accomplish the same goal using Various Artists instead of a blank field, but I'll have to rewrite all of my masks and edit a bunch of my Magic Nodes. I've used this program for almost a decade, I can't believe I'm just noticing this now.
  • There's no way to turn off the setting in MM4?
  • Is there a way to set MM4 to automatically fill the Album Artist with "Various Artists" instead of just copying the track's artist?
Discogs Tagger 5.8
Magic Nodes 6.0.0.29
Windows 10 Pro
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Unfortunately, on both accounts no. It is automatically filled with Available information eg. Artist and Various Artist is used to tell MM it is Compilation or Different Album from different Artist eg. Artist <> Album Artist

Please note that MM Have multiple Other fields that can be used for flagging some Artist Tracks Favorite, Including 10 Custom Fields (5 in MM4) and if you want to go extreme you can also Use Extended Tags (MM5 Only) that will be unique for you and can be paired with special Addon you will only have.
Best regards,
Peke
chrisdukes

Post by chrisdukes »

Thanks again for the detailed reply. I have been wanting to take advantage of MM5's expanded fields but I mostly rely on MM4 for organizing because I use Magic Nodes so much. The 5 custom fields in MM4 are taken up by Discogs Tagger, but I've been thinking about changing the settings.

The thing I don't get about MM4 automatically adding the Album Artist is that it doesn't seem to always do it. I have tons of records stored on my external hard drive that still have empty Album Artist fields. What actually triggers it?
Discogs Tagger 5.8
Magic Nodes 6.0.0.29
Windows 10 Pro
Peke

Post by Peke »

chrisdukes wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:00 am What actually triggers it?
Edit of any file on Album.
Best regards,
Peke
chrisdukes

Post by chrisdukes »

Edit of any file on Album.
Editing the Metadata or the File / Folder Name? Or is it both?
Discogs Tagger 5.8
Magic Nodes 6.0.0.29
Windows 10 Pro
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Metadata, as Album artist is filled when any track metadata on Album is edited. Folder shoul dnot trigger Tag Updates.
Best regards,
Peke
chrisdukes

Post by chrisdukes »

Gotcha. Thanks!
Discogs Tagger 5.8
Magic Nodes 6.0.0.29
Windows 10 Pro