New playlists created in MMW do not show in MMA

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

SteveB23

New playlists created in MMW do not show in MMA

Post by SteveB23 »

I have several playlists in MMW which I sync to my Android phone. One playlist in particular has grown to over 400 songs, so I would like to break it up into three smaller groupings. In MMW, I created these new playlists, then copied the appropriate songs over to them, while keeping them (for now) in the original playlist. On my phone, however, I am unable to see the new playlists to add them. I renamed the original playlist, and it shows up now with its new name, so I know MMA and MMW are talking, and when I sync the two, it tells me everything is in sync.

When I go into the Server content > Playlists on MMA, I can see 14 playlists, two of which are not selected because they're seasonal. In MMW, I see 19 playlists, including the two autoplaylists ("Imported Playlists" and "Most Played (50)", which I never use), and the three new playlists.

Is there a setting which limits the playlists I can see, or some limit on the number of playlists?

I am running:
MMW 5.0.4.2690 on Windows 10
MMA 2.0.0.1099 on Pixel 6a

Thanks,
Steve
Lowlander

Re: New playlists created in MMW do not show in MMA

Post by Lowlander »

Did you select the new Playlists to be Synced?
SteveB23

Post by SteveB23 »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:55 pm Did you select the new Playlists to be Synced?
No, I did not. I must have done so when I first set it all up several months ago, but I'd forgotten all about that, and believe me, I looked everywhere I could think of for something of that nature. So thank you!

So now the new playlists are visible and I am able to sync them, which is good. However, MMA tells me that the playlists are empty. Why would it do that? Remember, I just copied subsets of the original playlist to each of the new ones, so the songs already exist on the phone.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In MMW the Playlists are not empty (please verify)? Did you do a wi-fi or USB Sync after enabling the Playlists to be synced?
SteveB23

Post by SteveB23 »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:26 am In MMW the Playlists are not empty (please verify)? Did you do a wi-fi or USB Sync after enabling the Playlists to be synced?
Correct, the playlists in MMW are not empty. I've enabled the playlists to sync in my phone's device profile, and I use wi-fi to sync the phone.

Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Can you please try with the latest beta of MediaMonkey 5.1?
SteveB23

Post by SteveB23 »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:27 am Can you please try with the latest beta of MediaMonkey 5.1?
Before I try that, let me update this, because I may have screwed something up in the device profile. Now when I make any change in MMW to a playlist (add a song, or even change the order) and then sync, the playlist shows up in MMA as empty. As far as I can tell, no songs are deleted from the phone, because it does not ask for any confirmation, and the post-sync summary just notes that the playlists were updated.

What should the "Sync List (Library --> Device)" look like? In the first column, I have Music and Playlists half-checked. Under Music, All Music and Albums are half-checked, and I have a couple of albums checked. Under Playlists, All Playlists is half-checked and I have all the playlists I currently listen to checked.

Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

A Playlist checked should sync the Playlist and the files on it. No need to select anything in any Collection like Music.
SteveB23

Post by SteveB23 »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:27 am Can you please try with the latest beta of MediaMonkey 5.1?
This is MMW? I was assuming you would have me install the latest beta of MMA, since that's where we're seeing the problem. I have to say that I'm very reluctant to throw a beta version onto the server.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, it's for MMW. The issue may have already been fixed. You can also try the MMA beta.

If you don't want to, you send a debug log after Sync and reply here with the logID.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Steve,

Out of curiousity, when you add a playlist containing tracks that aren't on the device to the auto-sync list, do the Tracks sync, but the playlist appears empty? Or are the tracks also not syncing?

-Rusty
SteveB23

Post by SteveB23 »

rusty wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:27 pm Out of curiousity, when you add a playlist containing tracks that aren't on the device to the auto-sync list, do the Tracks sync, but the playlist appears empty? Or are the tracks also not syncing?
The problem has been resolved now (more about that in a bit), but when it was happening, the tracks would not sync. Specifically, when a new playlist was created (on MMW), nothing would download (in MMA) and the playlist would show as empty, and more strangely, any change to an existing playlist (on MMW) would result in a suddenly "empty" playlist (in MMA) and neither downloads nor deletes would occur.

Please note that I'm still a relative newcomer to MediaMonkey, and I don't fully understand all the various options, so please bear with me if I have trouble following you or if I describe something incorrectly. When you ask about the "auto-sync list," is that the "Sync list (Library -> Device)" section in MMW? I do not believe I am using any "auto-sync" feature and I'm not sure exactly what that does or how it operates. I only ever perform a manual sync from MMA on my phone.

Anyway, for the problem resolution: the first thing I found that I was missing -- with Lowlander's help -- was selecting the new playlists in the "Sync list (Library -> Device)" section. Prior to updating that list, I couldn't even see the new playlists in MMA, which was very confusing. After updating that list, I was able to see the new playlists, but now (after performing a sync) they showed up in MMA as empty.

The other thing I found was that I had somehow messed up some settings in MMA - probably when I had to factory reset my phone a few months ago and reinstall everything. Fortunately, my wife's phone also runs MMA against the same MMW library, so I just went through her phone and mirrored the "Library & Sync" settings back to mine, and now everything seems to be working again. Unfortunately, I can't tell you exactly what I updated, but maybe that'll be enough for you to figure out what I did.

Thanks,
Steve
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks for the clarification. Based on what you've written, it appears to have been a configuration issue.

Note: by auto-sync, I meant the sync configuration panel that you described (I was just using outdated terminology--sorry for the confusion).

-Rusty
DanteBeleren

Post by DanteBeleren »

If I may do a minor hijack, I have a similar issue that wasn't addressed by the thread (yet).

I hard connect my phone for syncing typically and I will drag and drop a Playlist to my phone. The tracks/songs will get added to the Phone, but the Playlist itself does not. So when I go to access it on MMA in the Playlist tab, the Playlist won't be there, but I can find the songs themselves in the other areas. Am I setting up my pathing/directory wrong, or do I need to actually set the sync up for the Playlist rather than drag and drop?
rusty

Post by rusty »

or do I need to actually set the sync up for the Playlist rather than drag and drop?
You'll want to sync the playlist if you want it to appear in MMA. Either:
a) One-time sync: If connected via USB, right-click on the playlist and Send to > DeviceName (sync)
b) WiFi sync

My preference is Wi-Fi sync since USB sync isn't always reliable (depending on the device).

-Rusty