Can't use Chromecast Audio

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Walden

Can't use Chromecast Audio

Post by Walden »

I can't cast with MM5 from my Win11 PC to my Chromecast audio.

• I see the Chromecast in the list, I select it, but if I press play I get a message "the chromecast audio player is turned off or inaccessible".
• It works on this same computer from MM5 to a Chromecast Video
• It works on this same computer from Spotify to Chromecast audio.

How to fix this problem ?

Thanks
Lowlander

Re: Can't use Chromecast Audio

Post by Lowlander »

With which Build (Help > About) is this not working for you? I'd recommend the latest MMW 5.1 beta as there have been fixes for Chromecast included.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks for the info!

I'm able to replicate this as well with 5.0.4--I suspect there's been a firmware update to the CC Audio. The issue is fixed in 5.1 available as a beta build.

-Rusty
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

Sorry. Not fixed in 2811. Chromecast has seldom worked for me in any version of MM5. Works flawlessly in other programs. Main reason MM5 is never used. (Well that and the failure to properly play classical music - even MM4 had a work around to play classical music properly.)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please capture the continuing Chromecast problems in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?t=86643

This will help a developer analyze why this fails on your setup.
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

This would be the third time I have submitted such logs for the Chromecast problem. If you haven't fixed it with the previous ones why would I think anyone would fix it with a third?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
In your last support ticket Ludek replied 2023/05/17 12:16 that logs show mDNS, Multicast packets do not reach MM and suspect Firewall/VPN Client Settings issue blocking LAN. Maybe the issue now is different one.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

When I re-installed MM5 on new windows 11 machine recently, it asked to make adjustments to firewall rules to allow "certain" features, which i did allow, and it "seems" so far to be working fine.

Now, if I had not allowed these adjustments at time of install, is there a way to make these changes afterwards, and what are the required changes?

This info might help someone for whom it is not working.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Personally I use https://binisoft.org/wfc as free Firewall controller and RULES GUI. I am in Windows 10, but from what I see it works with Windows 11 too.

You can also debug what packets are received/blocked. I simply love small effective apps (NOTE: I paid for it while it was not free and would paid again)
Best regards,
Peke
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

So are you saying the program does not have any way to re-create these settings at a later date?

If I uninstall, and then re-install would it ask?

I know nothing about firewall packets, and I am pretty sure neither do many other users, so that isn't helpful.

Also, I don't think it was ever really resolved why programs such as VLC player see the chromecast players sooner and more reliably than MM5.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Rob_S wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:10 pm So are you saying the program does not have any way to re-create these settings at a later date?
It is on Windows to create and manage firewall rules. WFC gives you GUI to do it easily.
Rob_S wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:10 pm If I uninstall, and then re-install would it ask?
Sometimes yes sometimes not if path is same and rules are already added in firewall. Again WFC help you to delete all MM rules from Firewall and then Windows will ask, even better WFC will ask you to add them if you enable notifications.
Rob_S wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:10 pm I know nothing about firewall packets, and I am pretty sure neither do many other users, so that isn't helpful.
That is where WFC comes handy as it give you clear info on what is going on in/out your PC.
Rob_S wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:10 pm Also, I don't think it was ever really resolved why programs such as VLC player see the chromecast players sooner and more reliably than MM5.
We found that VLC and some other apps query mDNS much quicker than MM which is not suggested as on long term it can blacklist app in firewall. Unlike MM, VLC is not designed to be started 24/7 and that lower chance to be blacklisted. When we tested MM got blacklisted on router and alll mDNS packets were dropped resulting MM fail to be detected in WiFi sync and can't detect speakers and DLNA players.

Only downside is that it is per PC setting not global one. Only way to successfully handle that is to collect feedback.
Best regards,
Peke
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Thanks, Peke

Too bad this is so complicated, as it is a very nice feature.

Ideally, if the firewall settings are important to it, it would be great to have a built-in interface within MM5 to check if it is set correctly.

Lots of people are hesitant to download too many separate little programs to do things like that.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Rob_S wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:06 am Too bad this is so complicated, as it is a very nice feature.
I do not understand, WFC is one of most clear apps I ever used. It pops up question would you like to allow that app thru firewall or not (basic answers Yes, No, Ask me later. You can customize if you want but 90% of people need only these three)
Rob_S wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:06 am Ideally, if the firewall settings are important to it, it would be great to have a built-in interface within MM5 to check if it is set correctly.
MM do what it can, but firewall changes are mostly reserved for elevated access and admins. WFC is System service directly hooked to Network connection.
Rob_S wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:06 am Lots of people are hesitant to download too many separate little programs to do things like that.
I found long time ago that single app do everything (the more robust the code is the harder is to maintain and will have more bugs) is much worse than 10 Little apps eg. Just like iTunes have its own store to buy music along all things that MM do will not make it better application and you should not use MM. Personally I would have 20 small apps (1+ developer per app, against 5 developers maintaining single app) each doing own thing (that I can easily disable/uninstall/kill/...) than one thing that integrates and change half of my OS that I can't easily disable.

Not to even talk, how tech support is with bigger systems (reserved vote for exclusion of some).
Best regards,
Peke
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

Peke wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:11 pm Hi,
In your last support ticket Ludek replied 2023/05/17 12:16 that logs show mDNS, Multicast packets do not reach MM and suspect Firewall/VPN Client Settings issue blocking LAN. Maybe the issue now is different one.
Here's the issue: NO OTHER PROGRAM THAT CASTS HAS TROUBLE WITH ANY FIREWALL. Why does MM have such a crappy implementation of casting for Google audio?
rusty

Post by rusty »

fyi: we've made a change in the next build that adjusts configuration settings if there's a change in network configuration. Hopefully that'll resolve this issue for you. Details at: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20153

-Rusty