]REQ] Better drag and drop

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Adamanti

]REQ] Better drag and drop

Post by Adamanti »

I have major problems when trying to drag files from the "Playing" list to a folder in the "Location" section. It starts popping open all kinds of folders and then when I getting shocked into letting go of the mouse button those files could be anywhere. I've lost files because of this. I can't see any way of turning this behaviour off in "Options". :(
Barry4679

Re: Feature request: Better drag and drop

Post by Barry4679 »

I have also experienced frustration, and created a mess, during MM5 flakey drag&drop operations.
There seems to be a small lag in these operations in MM5, and it is not too hard for your normal muscle memory to make a mess.

I never drag and drop with MM5. I use normal Windows key strokes to collect my track selection, and then use Ctrl+C to copy the tracks, or Ctrl+X to cut the tracks. And then position the cursor to the target location, and use Ctrl+V to paste the tracks.

Otherwise you may get better results if you make sure that your mouse battery is sufficiently charged, if you have a WiFi mouse.
Also a mouse gets less reliable as its laser ages. Maybe a new mouse would help?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I think it also depends on what other things MMW and/or other parts of Windows is doing at the time, and how fast is your PC, to keep it all flowing smoothly.
Using V2024 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 11, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Rob_S wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:32 am I think it also depends on what other things MMW and/or other parts of Windows is doing at the time, and how fast is your PC, to keep it all flowing smoothly.
I use the PC all day, every day.
Mouse handling in MM5 UI is different to all other apps. It has a lag and a stutter, especially when dragging.
Maybe it has improved? It burnt me a couple of times, and I have never used it since.
It is no deal breaker for me. I can do everything I want, with better control and confidence, using standard Windows keyboard actions.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Adamanti

Post by Adamanti »

Barry4679 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:14 am I use the PC all day, every day.
Mouse handling in MM5 UI is different to all other apps. It has a lag and a stutter, especially when dragging.
I don't get any lag or stutter, it's just the automatic opening of folders in rapid speed I don't like.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Adamanti wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:08 am I don't get any lag or stutter, it's just the automatic opening of folders in rapid speed I don't like.
Where are you dragging to?
You said the Location node. Did you mean Location node in the Media Tree in the left hand panel?
I found that dragging into the Media Tree is an especially bad idea .. ie. lots of movement, with things opening etc.

Try opening the Folders node. It opens in the Main Panel. Then in the Main Panel, show the "Tree (Folders)" View Element.
You can do this from the tool bar, but if you can't find how to do it via the menu (View>MainPanelView>TreeFolders)
That puts a folder tree into the main panel. This tree doesn't have all the jerky movements triggered as you drag towards it.
You should close the left hand panel, to save confusion about where you are dragging to (toggle it closed using the left hand icon on the tool bar ... looks like a piano).

You can now drag from the Right Panel's "Playing" list, to the Folder Tree in the Main panel.
That should work better for you.
Adamanti

Post by Adamanti »

Barry4679 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:58 am
Adamanti wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:08 am I don't get any lag or stutter, it's just the automatic opening of folders in rapid speed I don't like.
Where are you dragging to?
You said the Location node. Did you mean Location node in the Media Tree in the left hand panel?
I found that dragging into the Media Tree is an especially bad idea .. ie. lots of movement, with things opening etc.

Try opening the Folders node. It opens in the Main Panel. Then in the Main Panel, show the "Tree (Folders)" View Element.
You can do this from the tool bar, but if you can't find how to do it via the menu (View>MainPanelView>TreeFolders)
That puts a folder tree into the main panel. This tree doesn't have all the jerky movements triggered as you drag towards it.
You should close the left hand panel, to save confusion about where you are dragging to (toggle it closed using the left hand icon on the tool bar ... looks like a piano).

You can now drag from the Right Panel's "Playing" list, to the Folder Tree in the Main panel.
That should work better for you.
I'm sure there are many other ways of doing it which I can try, but I was putting in a feature request to improve the functionality. I wasn't really looking for workarounds.
1001Musik

Post by 1001Musik »

Then I join the list. I don't think drag&drop is that good either. I would also like a delay when pulling.
The same is with the menu in the right mouse button. If you slip slightly, the next entry opens up immediately. Again, a delay is desirable.
WiFi Syncing
MM Gold 5.1.0.2813 auf Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit "portable Installation"
MM Android 2.0.0.1099 Pro auf folgenden Geräten

Samsung S23 Ultra / Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra
Adamanti

Post by Adamanti »

Just to clarify further with, a picture of dragging from the Playing section to the Location section in sidebar from right to left.

Other files obscured for privacy.