MMA2 - One bug and a couple of feature requests!

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

cokehearth

MMA2 - One bug and a couple of feature requests!

Post by cokehearth »

Firstly, what a pleasant surprise it was to receive this updated Mediamonkey on Christmas Eve! Went to play some tunes, and there was a shiny new Mediamonkey app!

Obviously, thank you so much for all your hard work, I really do appreciate it.

I feel like here I'm writing about improvements, rather than the new stuff I like. There's lots I love about the new app, and can provide feedback (if wanted) once I've had more time to play around with it. But I'm genuinely excited about MMA2, particularly as my phone is basically just a glorified MP3 player, and so it's without a doubt my most-used app!

Bug - Music stops when going to another app, plays randomly: I seem to have an issue where playback will start/stop randomly.

Playing a song with the Mediamonkey app is fine, but if I go to my phone's home screen, and load another app, the music doesn't seem to play in the background. I did check a setting afterwards to allow background usage (I'm trying to find it now, and can't - so I can't remember what it was), and that seemed to work for a bit, but then didn't.

After stopping the music, it did a couple of times start of its own accord again; including once when I started a Wifi sync. I thought it may have been because I was connected to a Bluetooth stereo, and I did have the setting to resume playback on Bluetooth, but it also did it when it wasn't connected to the stereo.

Issue - Swiping

This might just be me getting used to the new app, and the swiping gestures, but occasionally I've found when swiping up/down on certain menus, my phone swipes left/right instead.

Like I say, this could just be me.

Feature request: Default action for selecting a song

This is something that would just take the app to the next couldn't-be-better level for me - so much so, if I could only have one new feature, this would be it. So currently, when you tap a song, it clears the queue, loads up whatever playlist/album/etc it's on and plays it from its position.

I'd love if there was an option to choose your default on tapping - e.g. play next, play last. I'd just be in music heaven if I could tap a song and it just went straight to the end of the queue, rather than having to long-press and select the desired action.

Just putting it out there in the hope it'll happen!

Feature request: Smart Playlists on Phone

I'm sure I've read or seen this request before, but the ability to make/edit smart playlists on the Android app would be fantastic. I love the smart playlists on the Windows application, and have all sorts, but being able to do it on the phone would be a dream come true.

Thanks again - and Merry Christmas/holidays and New Year to you all!
Primarily using: MM4 (latest update) Gold on Windows 11 (32GB RAM);
Samsung A54G 128GB/1TB MicroSD.

Library: 1875GB (254680+) files, on a Network Drive (Windows)
rusty

Re: MMA2 - One bug and a couple of feature requests!

Post by rusty »

Re. playback stopping randomly, we've had a couple of reports of that and are tracking the issue at https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19639

Can you submit a debug log if this happens again (Menu > Help > Submit logs) and share the log ID here?
Does settings Options > Playback > Audio transitions to 'None' solve this for you?

As to the feature requests, I'm tagging this with a 'heart' and we'll review such requests after 2.0 is out the door. We really do appreciate the feedback, but are focusing on quality issues atm.

Thanks so much!

-Rusty
cokehearth

Post by cokehearth »

Hi rusty,
Much appreciated!

I will initiate the settings with "none" in audio transitions, and with Bluetooth "remote respond" button option enabled and resume playback with Bluetooth, and will report back.

I must say, it seems the Volume Leveling action is working wonders - I always assumed volume leveling in general (not just in Mediamonkey) wasn't very accurate, but in MMA2, it's wonderful.

Also, the sync is definitely a lot more responsive. I typically convert files to .ogg, but stopped doing so because they could cause issues. I did a large sync (30, 000 files) straight to the SD card, left MMA2 to scan them into the library (took a fair few hours, obviously, due to the amount) - and the Sync "Match New Files" process was incredibly fast and went without a hitch. Huge improvement, and a very welcome one.

All in all, everything's working wonderfully, a few crashes here and there, but in a beta with a large library, it's to be expected, and isn't causing any disasters or problems using the software.

Thanks once again for this wonderful update - looking forward to see what further developments it brings. Happy New Year!
Primarily using: MM4 (latest update) Gold on Windows 11 (32GB RAM);
Samsung A54G 128GB/1TB MicroSD.

Library: 1875GB (254680+) files, on a Network Drive (Windows)
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi,

Music stopping randomly was fixed in build 1061. Can you confirm whether it solves the problem for you?

note: build 1061 was just released to beta on the Play store. It'll likely take a few hours for it to become available.

Thanks!

-Rusty

p.s. if you still experience the problem, please submit a debug log (Options > Help > Send logs) and share the log ID here. Thx.
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

cokehearth wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:01 am Feature request: Smart Playlists on Phone

I'm sure I've read or seen this request before, but the ability to make/edit smart playlists on the Android app would be fantastic. I love the smart playlists on the Windows application, and have all sorts, but being able to do it on the phone would be a dream come true.
+1 for this. Mabye sync smart playlists from MMW once, and (until they are changed in MMW) they could work dynamicly and without new sync in MMA, when updating tracks.

With ~500 smart & cascading playlists, the sync time tracks:playlists is nearly 10:90% for me now. :wink:
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView