1256 Failure of auto-sync to copy updated file [#5962]

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

chrisjj

1256 Failure of auto-sync to copy updated file [#5962]

Post by chrisjj »

On a d_USBMass1.dll device mapping to a HD folder via a SUBST drive:

1 In an external program, update an auto-sync listed WMA track by editing it
2 In MM, Add/Rescan it
3 Auto-sync

Expected: updated track copied to device
Observed: updated track not copied to device - old version left on device.

Note: The Last Modified of the updated track is changed even though the content is not, and mysteriously also the Last Modified of all unupdated tracks is changed:

This in Win XP SP2 + WMF 11

Workaround: first delete the track from the device.

I have reproduced this each of three times here, but I'd be grateful for confirmation.

Tracked at http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5962
Chris
chrisjj

Re: 1256 Failure of auto-sync to copy updated file --------

Post by chrisjj »

> I have reproduced this each of three times here, but I'd be grateful for confirmation.

Can anyone reproduce this, ideally on a regular rather than SUBST drive? Thanks.
Chris
chrisjj

Re: 1256 Failure of auto-sync to copy updated file --------

Post by chrisjj »

Chris
Peke

Re: 1256 Failure of auto-sync to copy updated file [#5962]

Post by Peke »

Hi,
This is fixed in MM5, where you can set Local Folder as sync device.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Peke wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:52 am Thi is fixed in MM5, where you can set Local Folder as sync device.
Thanks for the workaround. Note: not a fix.
Chris
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
For MM5 it is a fix, MM4 Core do not support such feature, only way is to use subst, but even then you must be careful to use Drive letter sync as Serials fore subs drive is same as with original HDD.

You can try my http://mmfanbox.x10host.com/mmfanbox/virtualcd.html plugin, but be warned it was made for MM3.x.

Best regards,
Peke
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Peke wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:31 amFor MM5 it is a fix
I that that to mean just installing MM5 over MM4 causes this procedure result to switch to working as expected. Thanks.
Peke wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:31 am MM4 Core do not support such feature
I don't know which feature this refers to. Clearly MM4 does support the features of this procedureL "d_USBMass1.dll device mapping to a HD folder via a SUBST drive", "Add/Rescan" and "Auto-sync".
Peke wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:31 am You can try my http://mmfanbox.x10host.com/mmfanbox/virtualcd.html plugin, but be warned it was made for MM3.x.
Thanks.
Chris
Peke

Post by Peke »

chrisjj wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:21 pm I that that to mean just installing MM5 over MM4 causes this procedure result to switch to working as expected. Thanks.
You can't install MM5 on top of MM4 in same folder, but MM5 install allow you to import MM4 settings, so that you can preserve library and most common settings.
chrisjj wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:21 pm I don't know which feature this refers to. Clearly MM4 does support the features of this procedureL "d_USBMass1.dll device mapping to a HD folder via a SUBST drive", "Add/Rescan" and "Auto-sync".
You know that USB Mass plugin is removed from MM4 installation because it created more issues than it solved eg. many MTP devices due the Windows Architecture change stopped working/being detected, and whole detecting/handling engine needed to be rewritten in MM5.
Best regards,
Peke
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Peke wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:55 pm You can't install MM5 on top of MM4 in same folder, but MM5 install allow you to import MM4 settings, so that you can preserve library and most common settings.
Ok then. I take it to mean just installing MM5 and importing MM4 settings causes this procedure result to switch to working as expected. Thanks.
Peke wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:55 pmYou know that USB Mass plugin is removed from MM4 installation
I didn't. Thanks for the heads-up.

I can't find that removal in any changelog (a surprised since it is a compatibility loss) but i do find mention in a note here http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view. ... 383#c41133 . And discussion here https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78611 .
Peke wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:55 pmbecause it created more issues than it solved
Not here (and I reply on it) but I accept it did for others,
Chris
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
chrisjj wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:20 pm Ok then. I take it to mean just installing MM5 and importing MM4 settings causes this procedure result to switch to working as expected. Thanks.
Yeah it should, MM 5.0.4 version improved a lot on migrating from MM4 and make it much clear and simpler.
chrisjj wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:20 pm I didn't. Thanks for the heads-up.

I can't find that removal in any changelog (a surprised since it is a compatibility loss) but i do find mention in a note here http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view. ... 383#c41133 . And discussion here https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78611
Not here (and I reply on it) but I accept it did for others,
See https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... e-plug-in/ shortly said The way how Windows changed detection of MTP devices in Win 10 (I think around build 1904, but not sure) made USB Mass plugin block detecting of most/some MTP devices (especially when Android removed support for USB MSC device obsolete) and your ZEN (I guess you still use it) uses MSC Protocol.
Best regards,
Peke
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Peke wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:39 pm MM 5.0.4 version improved a lot on migrating from MM4 and make it much clear and simpler.
Good to hear.
Peke wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:39 pm and your ZEN (I guess you still use it) uses MSC Protocol.
I still use MM with my dozen or so ZENs but by MTP.

But the procedure above (and my reliance on d_USBMass1.dll) isn't from my use with ZENs, but a different use.
Chris
Peke

Post by Peke »

chrisjj wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:28 pm But the procedure above (and my reliance on d_USBMass1.dll) isn't from my use with ZENs, but a different use.
Hmmm, MM5 handles thing bit different and USB Drives are handled bit differently, it is possible taht you need to enable Profile in Devices and Services in case of External HDD in order to be considered as Sync device. Unfortunate additional step to prevent duplicates and non needed syncs.
Best regards,
Peke
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Thanks Peke.
Chris