SOLVED. Bought a New Laptop

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Re: Bought a New Laptop

Post by Lowlander »

No, but this is unnecessary if you're taking the database as it already has the Playlists.

You can always check in a text editor how many files are on the exported Playlist files.
Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

Yes the playlists are correct in that they are the right number of songs. I think I will delete and reinstall as I think my initial load of the database was not right. In theory, if I have MM pointing to the right database (like MM5.db) then my playlists should copy over too?

Thanks.
Lenovo Laptop:
12th Gen i5 Intel processor
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

* Primary Apps: MediaMonkey 5 (not GOLD yet).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The recommendation I made is to start with using default locations for the database, till it's fully upgraded and working. Then you can move it to your desired location and use DBName to point to it.
Shakadula5153

Need a Windows Laptop. Help please.

Post by Shakadula5153 »

My new install of MM5 to a new Windows 11 Computer does not recognize my music (now on my C: drive). I copied over My music db source, MM.db, ini, and M3U file. I executed MM5 and no data.

My source music is C:/Users/Shaka/Documents/Music
My MM5 Ini file has DBName=C:/Users/Shaka/Documents\Music. However upon execution of MM5, it changed the DBName to C:/Users/Shaka/Documents\MM5.DB. Do I need to Rename my music folder to MM5?
AND I copied my MM4 db MM.DB to my MM5 Appdata/Roaming/MediaMonkey5 folder. Renamed MM to MM5 but still nothing.

I am missing something very basic I think.
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

Shakadula5153

Re: Need a Windows Laptop. Help please.

Post by Shakadula5153 »

MM4:

Would you know why import M3U playlist inserts extra titles into the playlists?

Example: my test playlists shows 5 titles when there are on two in the M3U file.

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:177,? & the Mysterions - 96 Tears
E:\Music\_ & the Mysterions\1966 09 September - 12 Dec - 6610\05 96 Tears.mp3
#EXTINF:156,Nick Kingsley & James Grinder - I'm Sorrry Nick Kingsley & James Grinder
E:\Music\I'm Sorrry Nick Kingsley & James Grinder.mp3

All Playlists have a crazy number of titles inserted.
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

IanRTaylorUK

Re: Messed up MM4 to MM5 conversion

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Shakadula,

Since your email is mixing up forward slash "/" with backslash "\" I am wondering whether a small "typo" is the source of your problem. If I was you, I would take a slower approach to confirm everything is OK at each step. I am not certain whether you can access the "old" pc, but if you can, you might want to:

1). Count the MP3 files on the old machine by going to the directory and using either properties or *.mp3 as a search in Windows File Explorer.

2). Now do the same on the new machine and you should get the same number.

3). I would now install Media Monkey 4 (MMW4) on the new machine, run and rescan. Do you get the same number of files after the rescan?

4). Exit MMW4, find the MM.DB check the time and date then rename it to say MM.10Nov2022

5). Before starting MMW4 again, place a copy of the MM.DB from the exact location of 4.

6). Now if you run MMW4 it should be exactly as the old machine e.g. Playlists, Collections, etc. Do you get the same number of music files? I assume MMW4 was installed as a NON-PORTABLE version.

If you do have the same number of music files, then you have proved that everything - from a MMW4 viewpoint is the same on the new machine.

Once you have MMW4 running AND have ALL your music files accounted for then you can install MMW5. In my experience if you do a clean install of MMW5 it will find you MMW4 database MM.DB and adopt it in MMW5 as MM5.DB.

However, before doing this - I would report back here. Since you have already installed MMW5 once, there will be several ways forward.
Ian Taylor
Lowlander

Re: Need a Windows Laptop. Help please.

Post by Lowlander »

Like mentioned before. Just copy the mm 4 database file to the MM5 database location. Remove mm5.db and then start MediaMonkey. This should update your MediaMonkey 4 database (which creates mm5.db). Then you can move that and point to it with DBName in the ini.
Shakadula5153

Getting there With MM5 and The New Laptop

Post by Shakadula5153 »

I found another post that indicated if I launched MM5, executed Add/Rescan Files it would pick up my new database and playlists. It did add all of my songs but NO playlists.

I did another Add/Rescan files for the exported MM4 Playlists but that didn't work either. My M3U MM4 Playlists file is in C:\Users\Shaka\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5 folder.

I did copy MM4 DB to C:\Users\Shaka\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5 folder and renamed it to MM5.dB. I did not mess with the Ini on this test.

Also, I can't find the Import M3U playlist script. What am I missing? I am okay with uninstalling/reinstalling MM5 and starting over but I just don't know why MM5 did not ask me to use MM4 settings when I installed MM5 and why I have to Add/Rescan files to populate my MM5 music library. Is there a file/folder I need to manually delete in order to get MM5 to use MM4 settings?

I have read the forum and links sent in other posts about moving to a new computer and feel I followed the directions to a tee and have only been able to get 1/2 way there.

Thanks. I am in a time crunch here because my Parallels renewal is due in a week and I want to save that $110.00 .
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

Shakadula5153

Re: Getting there With MM5 and The New Laptop

Post by Shakadula5153 »

bump. guess you guys are tired of me.
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, scanning does not pick up an old database. As explained, put the old database in the new database location. Make sure you don't have mm5.db in that location when upgrading a MediaMonkey 4 database and then start MediaMonkey 5. It then updates the database and all your Playlists will be there.
Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

Okay I am good now. I was able to get MM4 loaded with all songs and playlist onto my new Windows 11 laptop. The trick was to use the same drive letter on the new machine as the old one. So I loaded the database onto a external drive, put it on the windows 11 machine and changed the drive letter in windows to the same drive letter that it used on my old machine.

Then I loaded MM5 onto windows 11 and used MM4 settings and it loaded flawlessly. So I now have MM4 and MM5 on a Windows 11 laptop WORKING.

Thanks to all of you that tried to help.
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

CLOSED
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software