how MM5 play DSD/DSF music files

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

gzjamesbond

how MM5 play DSD/DSF music files

Post by gzjamesbond »

I have many DSD/DSF music files. But I find that MM5 cannot import and play such files. How can I achieve that?
Peke

Re: how MM5 play DSD/DSF music files

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Please use latest version from viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639&sd=d and also try to Drag and drop file to now playing.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
pavlf

Post by pavlf »

This isn't working for me. All I get is crackles and static, I can sometimes make out something vaguely musical in the distance!

DSD (dsf) works for me with Foobar.

I'm going from Windows 11 into a topping D50s via usb. MM5 output is set to wasapi, exclusive, topping, 192/32. I've got the dsd plugin showing in the codec/input plugins. Everything is great except for this! It's annoying having to jump over to foobar every time I want to listen to my DSD files. All other hi-res files in flac, wav and wv work a treat.

Am I missing something?
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Could you upload me one such DSF file (use any file sharing service, like Google Disk sharing, OneDrive sharing, etc) and send me link to PM? I will look at it. All my DSF files play without problems. Only I am not familiar with topping D50s, but I expect, if you use other device (some "ordinary" repro or headphones connected directly to PC) it is the same, right? And if you change output plugin to MMDS? Also could please test with other output formats (WASAPI exclusive), like something with 16/24bit output?
pavlf

Post by pavlf »

Just uploading a file to googledrive.

No joy with direct sound or wav output. I'm fairly sure it isn't the topping (it works fine with foobar for e.g). It's something between the file, MM5 and the output. Have PMd
pavlf

Post by pavlf »

It works on another machine with a lower resolution output just sending to a normal soundcard. Does this mean MM5 can't output 32bit DSD, but has to convert? Still doesn't explain why the topping dac doesn't understand what's being sent to it.

Anyway, the problem seems to be particular to my setup. If MM5 coverts the audio to a lower resolution then it's not really what I'm after. It's no massive hassle, I've only got a few DSD albums
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

MM5 play DSD as PCM stream (it decodes it to PCM with appropriate high quality setting, you should not hear any difference in the sound itself). So it seems, your sound device plays this PCM stream as DSD stream, this leads to the noise, as PCM is different format. Is it possible to switch Topping to play it as PCM? It should support it too I think.
pavlf

Post by pavlf »

PMd you, but yes, something is going on with the topping here. It can decode both PCM and DSD, usually it autodetects the stream - so with a dsf file on Foobar it indicates it's receiving DSD. With MM5 the same file indicates PCM - but it's musical static. Maybe a topping forum is the place to ask.
pavlf

Post by pavlf »

Returning to this after a year! I just swapped my PC for a laptop so had to reinstall MM5. And now, amazingly, dsd files are working (though converted to pcm). I also spent a while trawling the forum for advice about font size and found out how to increase the size of the font with the Metro M classic skin. This is fantastic. Everything works as I want it to and everything looks how I like it to look.

I've been using MM for many many years now - more than I care to think about actually, but it's always been a difficult player to replace. It's pretty well the best at everything. Foobar comes close, but I found I was spending hours trying to turn it into the application that already works: this one!

Well done developers