menu item "Add Location"

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

menu item "Add Location"

Post by Barry4679 »

The optional "Add Location" menu item can be used as a Hot Key target, or be added to the new optional Toolbar.

What is "Add Location" for?

My first guess was that it could be used create a physical folder ... which would have been good because there is still no way to create a top level folder within a music share ... this has to be done outside MM.

That guess was incorrect. I then thought that it would do the same thing as the button, which shares the same name, inside the Add/Rescan facility.

That guess was incorrect also. .. It does not offer the same submenu as the button which shares the name "Add Location". It has no browsing facility.

Is it working as designed?

If it does have its own separate purpose, it should have a unique name in the UI, or have an explanatory tooltip.

Tested with 2679.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Re: menu item "Add Location"

Post by Lowlander »

You can add a Media Server, Streaming Service or Network Share this way.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:23 am You can add a Media Server, Streaming Service or Network Share this way.
I guessed that, but what does it mean?
Add it to what or where?
Is like adding a location in the Add/Recan panel?
If that is intention, it does not appear to work well
  • it has no browsing capability, like there is when called from the Add/Rescan panel
  • I used it to add Dropbox App folder ... it appeared to do nothing useful ... ie. that location is not added to the checkbox list in the Add/Rescan panel ... but if I push the Add Location bottom, I now see that Dropbox App Folder option is duplicated now.
I don't understand the purpose.
How do i trigger this facility In the default vanilla MM5 UI? .. ie without using a configured hotkey or optional toolbar item?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
rusty

Post by rusty »

It should probably be removed as a hotkey--I don't see the point of that command out of the context of the Add/Scan dialog.

-Rusty
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

rusty wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:55 am It should probably be removed as a hotkey--I don't see the point of that command out of the context of the Add/Scan dialog.
It actually does something different to the button of the same name.
The button adds a location to those that will be scanned (dependent upon checkbox).
The menu option seems to add an item to list, that you can select from, when using the button.

Does MM5 support adding unexpected items to the selectable list in that way?

It would be a bit weird if this function was available only through a hidden menu items that is discoverable only via the Hot Key and custom Toolbar menu item dropdown lists.

Also items in the above-mention dropdown list could do with some tool tip hints ... another example: "Add Directory.." ... anyone seeing that would think that it is for creating directories wouldn't they? ... but it seems to be something just related to podcasts.

If tooltips are hard to do, maybe it should be "PODCAST>Add Directory.." rather than "GENERAL>Add Directory.." or maybe "GENERAL>Add Podcast Directory"