Unable to connect to server

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

martialartsguy

Unable to connect to server

Post by martialartsguy »

Hi there,

Starting today, I've been unable to connect to the server on my MM4 from Android (build #s below). I tried to reinstall MMA using these instructions: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... an-install

I then ran it once, installed MM Pro, and started to connect by Selecting Sync Server. However, it doesn't show up and just continues Searching until failing. My MM4 has a server which I've always been able to connect to in the past.

MMA build: 1.3.7.0906
MM4 build: 4.1.27.1897
Android (Galaxy S10): REV1.0
MM Gold since 2006
martialartsguy

Re: Unable to connect to server

Post by martialartsguy »

**UPDATE**

I'm now able to connect to the server once I restarted MM4 and got the usual prompt that my phone was remotely accessing via Wi-Fi.

I'm still unsure what caused this in the first place, but there you go.
Last edited by martialartsguy on Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MM Gold since 2006
martialartsguy

Post by martialartsguy »

**Second UPDATE**

Well, now I tried again and added more playlists to my sync. Now I'm getting the same error "Connection failed"
MM Gold since 2006
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Peke

Post by Peke »

martialartsguy wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:02 pm Well, now I tried again and added more playlists to my sync. Now I'm getting the same error "Connection failed"
Try to use MMA UPnP icon is MMA see MMW server and once it see it try to Long TAP on MMW server name -> Save
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
martialartsguy

Post by martialartsguy »

Peke wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:06 pm
martialartsguy wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:02 pm Well, now I tried again and added more playlists to my sync. Now I'm getting the same error "Connection failed"
Try to use MMA UPnP icon is MMA see MMW server and once it see it try to Long TAP on MMW server name -> Save
The UPnP icon to server doesn't show the MediaMonkey Server either.
MM Gold since 2006
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Make sure the wifi you're on is on the same network as the MMW PC and that you're not connecting a guest network (often can't see other devices on network or default to cell data).
martialartsguy

Post by martialartsguy »

My PC is direct ethernet to my modem, buuuuut, I do have Google WiFi throughout the house (which the Galaxy S10 is connected to).

I've never had an issue with it in the past.

NOTE: I restarted MM4 and this time it connected, but once syncing is done I'm guessing that if I sync again on this same instance of MM4, it will fail and I'll need to restart MM4.
MM Gold since 2006
Peke

Post by Peke »

martialartsguy wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:46 am My PC is direct ethernet to my modem, buuuuut, I do have Google WiFi throughout the house (which the Galaxy S10 is connected to).

I've never had an issue with it in the past.

NOTE: I restarted MM4 and this time it connected, but once syncing is done I'm guessing that if I sync again on this same instance of MM4, it will fail and I'll need to restart MM4.
That is why I suggested UPnP as it will not start to sync Immediately, but will allow you to long tap and save Server settings. That way MA will first try to connect to Saved Server and then to search for new one. HINT: While UPnP is Searching restart MM4.
Best regards,
Peke
martialartsguy

Post by martialartsguy »

Thanks Peke,

I'll give that a shot today!
MM Gold since 2006
Luckysky

"Connection failed"

Post by Luckysky »

Hello everyone :) ,

I had an issue with syncing my playlists and just found a solution. Even though it is not the best one, I want to share it here, because it took me hours and it drove me nuts - and maybe the following is saving someone else from the some situation. Hopefully. :)

So just in short, what I am using:
- MMW 5
- Mobile: Samsung S20 (Android) and the
- Mediamonkey App with the Wi-Fi Sync-function (pay).

The problem:
- MMW didnt recognise my mobile anymore (only via USB-cable) and therefore, no syncing via Wi-Fi was possible. It said "Connection failed"
- Within the app under "options" in the "Wi-Fi"- section, it didnt find anything / no server (it just said "Searching...", but even after some minutes it found nothing)

Solution:
After deactivating the Microsoft Firewall, MMW recognised immediately my mobile and the synchronisation worked also immediately.

So yes, I know, deactivating the Firewall is not good in the long run, but if there is no other solution and you want to sync your playlists, then it might be a solution to do this:
- deactivate the firewall
- sync your playlist
- reactivate the firewall

If someone has a better solution, it is highly appreciated. But at least the above is one and as said, I hope it helps some people to reduce the annoyance that I had.

Peace and happiness to all of you :)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In that case you likely need to allow/enter a rule for MediaMonkey to pass through the firewall.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
May I suggest a free application that controls Windows Firewall in great details and you can even show notifications to see what is accessing Internet from your PC.

https://www.binisoft.org/wfc

NOTE: I personally use it for years and it served me wonderfully.
Best regards,
Peke