Bypass half star ratings via skin CSS tweaks?

To discuss development of addons / skins / customization of MediaMonkey.

Moderators: jiri, drakinite, Addon Administrators

tbm72

Bypass half star ratings via skin CSS tweaks?

Post by tbm72 »

I've never used half star ratings and find them quite annoying as I suffer from chronic RSI and I often find it awkward to make sure I don't accidentally click on a half star rating. But I'm sure some people must use them so I understand they're not going away!

But could it be possible to somehow avoid half stars through the use of skin CSS tweaks? I've created a basic customised skin that tweaks some other things more to my preference but I'm not exactly an expert in CSS so I don't know if such a thing would even be possible?
drakinite

Re: Bypass half star ratings via skin CSS tweaks?

Post by drakinite »

Sure is. The appearance of half ratings are controlled by a "data-halfstar" attribute on divs with a ratingStar class. Adding the following CSS rule should make all half-stars appear as full stars.

Code: Select all

.ratingStar[data-halfstar] {
    -webkit-mask-image: none;
}
Here's a quick addon which does just that. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqHzUrf30uprrthogZr9YYa3WoAwwA

Only downside of the addon is that the "Rating" menu in the navigation tree now appears to have two entries for 5 stars, two for 4 stars, etc.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

That's almost perfect and very easy to implement - thanks for the tip! Unfortunately it doesn't seem to quite do what I was hoping for. I added the CSS to my skin and although visually it looks like it gets rid of half stars, under the hood they still seem to be there.

For example I tested it by changing a track's rating to what looked like one star but it didn't then appear in my 1 star autoplaylist. I guess it's because where I physically clicked was actually the half star position but it displayed as 1 star (hence why there appears to be 2 entries for each rating in the navigation tree as you noted).

I suppose I could edit my 1 star autoplaylist (and 2*, 3* etc) so that the criteria includes 'rating=1 star' AND 'rating='0.5 stars'. Or I think I might have seen a script somewhere that rounds up all half-star ratings to whole ones.

Either way I'm sure I can figure out something based on this. Thanks so much :)
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

No problem. And yes, as a CSS tweak it only modifies the appearance of the ratings. The simplest solution would be to work around those auto playlists the way you described.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Only real solution that I can think of is that custom Plugin is created that can run on Edit Event and correct Half start to full stars.

Eg. on tag edit check if half star is entered and round it to higher full star (3.5 -> 4, 4.5 ->5, ...)
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Thanks Peke, I think I can work with drakinite's useful css tweak along with editing any of my autoplaylists so that anything based on star ratings is now based on both full star and half star. So anything that references 1 star ratings now references 0.5 star and 1 star ratings. Anything based on 2 star is now based on 1.5 and 2 star etc.

That seems to have the same effect as reducing the star ratings to whole numbers and I think that should work fine.