"Sync" with MMW5 or copy with Windows

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

sordup

"Sync" with MMW5 or copy with Windows

Post by sordup »

In preparation for moving my library/database/MM install to a portable scenario I want to get everything necessary onto a portable drive.
Almost all my music (recent additions from the last two weeks haven't been moved) has been already copied to this new drive in an exact mirroring of my specific directory structure from my source location using Windows copy/paste.

Can I use these files "as is" after establishing a portable installation and moving the database file accordingly - https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ini-files/
in addition to doing the necessary manual drive re-assign - https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sign_Drive
??

OR, should I have used MediaMonkey's "Sync" feature to do this copying? This is something I've never done. Sync seems to have so many protocols for restructuring the file/folder hierarchy for the copied files which would undo my own preferred folder structure that I prefer the much simpler, one-step copy/paste move of the entire library.

Is there a way to do this with Sync? And if so, must I now start all over with the copy process, deleting the current files and engaging the Sync to copy them again??

OR, now that I've already copied the files with Windows, can I just establish this Sync relationship between the two locations (keeping my preferred folder structure) and just have Sync update the file additions/changes from the last two weeks?
Lowlander

Re: "Sync" with MMW5 or copy with Windows

Post by Lowlander »

That should work after you update the driveID, so no Sync necessary.
sordup

Post by sordup »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:50 pm That should work after you update the driveID, so no Sync necessary.
Great!
What about the changes? Can I now establish a Sync relationship so that whenever the two locations are connected MM makes sure they are the same??
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, you could do so, your mileage may vary as MediaMonkey isn't designed to keep 2 separate installs in Sync.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

A very good effective program to sync any kind of files between locations is called Total Commander, also for any other kind of file management tasks

It starts as a two pane file manger, then you click on a sync button, and it compares all files in the folder and any subfolders that you have, and highlights the files which are newer different or missing from each side. At this point you can manually unselect any that you don't want to sync. Click once and all latest or missing copies are transferred in both directions, or only in one direction (your choice) You can also set exclude filters for any file types you don't want to sync.

The interface is a bit dated, but it works perfectly in Windows 10. I use it for all my backups.

https://www.ghisler.com/download.htm

Free version is identical to registered version, except you have to click on one of three numbers each time to get it started.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
personally I always liked Total Commander. Especially https://www.tcup.pl/index.php/en/ that have much much more than original TC.

NOTE: Total commander is different thing from MM and MM5 partially utilize multi column features for copy/managing.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts