Autorename - Test for contains?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

TLD

Autorename - Test for contains?

Post by TLD »

I've been using the software for a while and occasionally come across times when autorename "fails" due to the length of certain fields, such as classical music containing a plethora of information (key, movement, ....)

I recently started to rerip my collection in FLAC (...was using 168 bit MP3 prior...) and am coming across this again - but I noticed that many of these contain a colon or other demarcation. For example, album titles: "MTV Unplugged: Tony Bennett", "MTV Unplugged: 10,000 Maniacs", "Come A Little Bit Closer: The Best Of Jay And The Americans"

I have been trying to find a way to leave these intact while cutting the rename to only the left side of the colon - however I'm unable to find a way to identify where the colon *is* in the title automatically.
Am I missing something? Is there a function so something like this would work?
$left(<ALBUM>,$find(<ALBUM>,:)-1)

Is there an alternative to this that I'm overlooking?

Thank you as always!

- TLD
Lowlander

Re: Autorename - Test for contains?

Post by Lowlander »

You can't split on or determine location of a character in a field, thus this isn't possible.

You have a total of 255 (256 or 260 depending who you ask) to work with for the full Path (including drive letter and extension). Depending on what you add to the Path you may have only a few fields (like Title, Album, Album Artist and Artist) that can be very long for some files. I personally use all 4 in the Path and have each limited to 50 characters, leaving a minimum 55 for everything else.
TLD

Re: Autorename - Test for contains?

Post by TLD »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:04 pm ...Depending on what you add to the Path you may have only a few fields (like Title, Album, Album Artist and Artist) that can be very long for some files. I personally use all 4 in the Path and have each limited to 50 characters, leaving a minimum 55 for everything else.
Here's what I usually use for English, French, German, Spanish, and Japanese Artists/Groups/Multi
(Genre examples: Japanese: Artists German: Multi)

F:\Music\$if($left(<Genre>,7)<>English,$if($left(<Genre>,6)<>French,$if($left(<Genre>,7)<>Spanish,$if($left(<Genre>,8)<>Japanese,$if($left(<Genre>,6)<>German,WRONG SELECTION\)))))$Replace(<Genre>,- ,\)\$if(<Subgroup of>,<Subgroup of>\)<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Disc#:2>-<Track#:3>) $first(<Title>,1) - $first(<Artist>,2)

So if it's not in that group (such as Seasonal: Christmas) then it puts it in the "Wrong Selection" folder.
If I could filter long titles and album names cutting it off at the colon, that would be phenomenal.

I might make this suggestion for MM5 as I doubt there'll be any major changes for 4.x any longer.

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate it.

-- TLD