Device is no longer visible in MMW

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

nordicmusic

Device is no longer visible in MMW

Post by nordicmusic »

Hello MM-enthusiasts!

My device running MMA (1.3.6.0887) is no longer visible in MMW (4.1.25.1895) .

Suddenly I can not see my devise in the tree structure (left panel in MMW).
The device appear under (Tool > Options > Portable Device Sync (My device is shown with both "internal storage" and "memory card").

As many others I'm struggling with the sync from MMW to MMA.
I have managed to download files via USB, but they were stored on the wrong place on the memory card. Tried to move them from one folder to another folder, but the album art disappeared.

MMA is re-installed a couple of times.
UpnP is configured and I have contact with MMA.

A click on the "Sync"-symbol have now started a download to my device (where the files will be stored is at the moment a mysterium), but it goes sloooow. Using 20-30 sek on each track, to suddenly speed up with 3-5 tracks in a second.

So.. what do I have to do to see my device in the tree structure again?

Regards from Nordic
Lowlander

Re: Device is no longer visible in MMW

Post by Lowlander »

You need to connect it via USB to your PC. In the Device Profile you can set where files are stored when syncing to the device.
nordicmusic

Post by nordicmusic »

Hi Lowlander

My device is already connected with an USB cable.
I have configured my device in de Device profile.
My problem is: I can not see my device in the tree structure in the panel to the left in MMW.
I can see Now playing, Music, Playlist, Media Server, My Computer and the all my connected hard drives and memory sticks (D:, E:, F:, G: etc), but I can not see my phone. :(

PS! Since 2:34 pm to 18:31 MMW have downloaded 1888 tracks. It is going slooow.

regards
nordicmusic
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Does Windows see the device and if so have you made sure it isn't disabled under Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync?
nordicmusic

Post by nordicmusic »

Hi Lowlander

For some reason can windows only see the "phone - internal storage".
Earlier could windows also see "phone - memory card".

I can not see any choices to disable the view of the device under Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync. Where can I find this?

Now I have reached 2057 tracks (3768) after approx 7 1/2 hours : :o

As far I can see this >2000 tracks is downloaded to the folder on the external memory card :D
I have to let it run through the night. And it will be exiting to tomorrow if all file have been transferred with all the metadata I expect.

Do you have any suggests to my question regarding "disable view"?

regards
nordicmusic
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Make sure under Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync that the both the Device Profiles have a checkmark (or at least the one you want to use), and that on the Summary tab of the Device Profile itself you may want to enable Scan as soon as the device is connected.

On the device itself make sure that the USB connection is set to MTP mode.
nordicmusic

Post by nordicmusic »

Good morning Lowlander

Thanks for being patient with me.
The Device Profiles have a checkmark on the one I prefer.
"Scan as soon as the device is connected" was not checked". But I think this is not a problem as I can start the synchronization from the phone/MMA?

After running the download/synchronizing during the night it has managed to download 2068 tracks. That's mean that the download have stopped. Probably because I turned off the wi-fi. The USB cable was connected all the time. And YES, the USB is connected in the MTP mode.
Another issue is that all 2068 tracks have got the same album art, witch is not correct. There should be around 140 different album art. What have happened? How can this be corrected?

It looks like the transfer of the files is done via wi-fi, not by the USB cable.
Using USB cable depend on the UPnP-settings?
When I tap on the UPnP-symbol on MMA I get 3 servers on the screen: My PC (IP address 192.168.1.81), my 2nd PC (IP address 192.168.1.229) and MediaMonkey Library (my PC-name) (IP address 192.168.1.81).
Tapping on the first two gives me: "Connection failed".

Tapping on the MM Library gives me access to my PC. I can tap on different choices and and go directly into different hard drives and into folders.

Holding the finger on the MM Library I got a new screen where I chose "Edit".
I then get a new screen "Add media server".
"Device destination" http:/192.168.1.81:22866/DeviceDescription_file.xml

Should something in the Device destination-description be changed???
Should DeviceDestination be replaced with something else???

It seams that I have missed some important instruction to get the USB cable connected and communicate between the MMA and MMW (between the device and PC).
On the phone I get the 3 normal choices; transfer picture, transfer files, charge the phone.
Transfer files gives me the information that file transfer will be done by USB cable. So I think the settings for USB cable is correctly (=MTP mode).

So to the conclusion: IF it is the UPnP that control the USB cable communication between the phone and PC then it looks like that the configuration of the UPnP is not correct.

PS! I can send screen shots from both phone and/or PC, if necessary.

regards
nordicmusic
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you sync from MMA it always syncs via wifi, if you sync from MMW it always syncs via USB.

Capture in a debug log (step 4b) the connecting of the device via USB to your PC (make sure no syncing is happening) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=26&t=69

USB problems: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... tion-fails
nordicmusic

Post by nordicmusic »

Hi Lowlander

AHA! I have missed that information when I red the sync-instruction on MMs help sites :-? Sync from MMA alway syncs via Wi-Fi!

This means that you recommend to start the sync always/mostly from the PC via USB cable (if possible), as this goes faster?

I debug file has been sent to support.
It is a little bit strange that it take more than 12 hours to transfer 3768 tracks over wi-fi. The phone is only 1 meter from the router.
OK, I have to go back to the drawing desk and start working with the MM-configuration on the PC to see if I can find a configuration that aloud me to sync from/to only one folder on the PC to only one folder to/from my phone memory card.
(My phone is again visible in the tree structure (in the left panel on MMW :D. Perhaps only a re-start of both MMW and MMA was necessary?)

regards
nordicmusic
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

USB Sync generally is faster than wifi sync as transfer speeds are better. Sync is also impacted by auto-conversion/leveling and obviously file size.