Video playback progress cursor not working

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

CPL

Video playback progress cursor not working

Post by CPL »

I have many .mp4 files on my desktop running fully updated Win10 Home. I am new to using MediaMonkey to play these files and find that, once started and playing back there is no problem until I move the playback position cursor to another position within the file, either ahead or back from the current playback point. Then a new frame is displayed and that remains fixed for the playback. The progress time is being updated from the previous position and the Pause button is displayed as normal for playback. The jump can be any distance, short or long. I have even jumped ahead by ~1 min, waited while the progress time count reaches and passes this point, but the new frame displayed remains unchanged.

Does anyone have a suggestion for this problem? I'd like to sort this out before committing to a licence.

Paul.
Lowlander

Re: Video playback progress cursor not working

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey?
CPL

Post by CPL »

I'm using v4.1.25.1895.
CPL

Post by CPL »

This problem may have been a temporary glitch. The problem as I described it occurred on a number (>5, probably near 10) of .mp4 files. However, yesterday while playing a file, I stepped the cursor back ~1-2 mins and the problem occurred - the frame froze at the selected point, but the video played on (as determined by the sound track and cursor position time counter increasing). But when I clicked the position cursor a little further back, the playback behaviour was normal. I have now tried it on one other video file and all is working as it should - no frozen frame, just the video playback starting from the new time point.

Might I suggest that you leave this problem with me to see if it recurs? I'll report back on my situation in a few days' time.

Paul.
CPL

Post by CPL »

Well, after various tests I'm a little wiser. I find that when I click the progress bar back, the video and sound start at the right point, most times. It's when I click the progress bar forward of the current playing position that behaviour is not all that predictable. If I click a short distance ahead, both the video and sound are in sync at the new point, presumably because I have chosen a position within the current file buffer. When I click a good bit further on from the current playing position, the video freezes but the audio plays from the new position most times, and if I leave it long enough the video catches up, again most times. But it's damned frustrating waiting for that to happen, making it not worthwhile stepping ahead. My Cyberlink PowerDVD 19 makes this sort of forward jump seamless, it's only large jumps (30+ mins?) where there's a brief hesitation.

I guess this is just the nature of the beast, or, as is often stated "a feature" of the software. I'll keep updating the application in the hopes that this "feature" will be replaced with something better. Consider this issue closed.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts