Lost Play Count / Date Info, View Altered, Old Songlist

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

alekgrabinski

Lost Play Count / Date Info, View Altered, Old Songlist

Post by alekgrabinski »

When I started MM, I saw three things that made me want to cry:

1) The Play Count and Last Played information had been zeroed out;
2) The view had been altered or defaulted (the columns weren't as I typically have them); and
3) All music that had been added since October 2018 was no longer present.

It seems like MM decided to revert back to some very old version of MM.db, and to erase all play information as well.

When I searched my drives for the MM.db file, only one came up, and because I had opened & then closed MM, I fear I have overwritten the only copy of MM.db available to me. (Yes, I have a backup somewhere, so at worst I have lost several months of new additions and Recently Played info.)

Question to the community is: What could have caused MM to open some version of the database than what I had previously been successfully using, and to erase the play info taboot? And before I go rebuild the past several months, is there anything I can do to get the correct MM.db back?
Lowlander

Re: Lost Play Count / Date Info, View Altered, Old Songlist

Post by Lowlander »

See: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... e/View/123

Make sure you include hidden files in the search scope for mm.db. whichever version comes up with a modified near the last time you closed MediaMonkey with the correct Library is likely the correct version.
alekgrabinski

Post by alekgrabinski »

Thank you, Lowlander, I will check it out & hopefully report back with success.
alekgrabinski

Post by alekgrabinski »

Lowlander's solution worked. I made sure to make hidden files searchable, then ran the search for MM.db across all drives. It found 4 different instances of the database -- including the exact one that I needed. For some reason it was located in this spot:

C > Users > [me] > AppData > Local > VirtualStore > Program Files (x86) > MediaMonkey

I copied this file to

C > Users > [me] > AppData > Roaming > MediaMonkey

and all was swell.

Still not clear on why the correct database ended up in that VirtualStore directory...
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It is one of windows mistakes. that at some point Windows falsely put MMW into FTH (Fault Tolerant Heap) virtualization program space and created VirtalStore.

I would advice you to move whole "C:\Users\[me]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore" to "C:\FTH Junk\VirtualStore\" and see if your apps starts to work better.

Do not get me wrong it is good idea to make OS more stable but poorly executed with lots of bugs that I guess they found not worth to fix.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
alekgrabinski

Post by alekgrabinski »

Thanks, Pavle. This happened again after Windows did an update; Windows put MM.DB in this FTH location, and for some reason MM thought that was the database to open. I renamed that file to MM_fth.DB, and when MM opened, it correctly found the right MM.DB in the AppData > Roaming > MediaMonkey folder.

This is all very strange. I'm not sure if your guidance to move 'whole "C:\Users\[me]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore" to "C:\FTH Junk\VirtualStore\"' is meant to be serious. If Windows has the power to move MM.DB into some new "optimized" location *and* to compel MM to open that location, isn't it going to keep winning this battle? Is there something I can change in the .ini file to keep this from happening?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
VirtualStore Issue is well known user problem from Windows incorrect detect of applications https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is ... 8&oe=utf-8 that is why I suggested moving it to secure location so in case of any issues you can copy it back, but usually it do not return.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts