Added files on Linksys WRT1200AC external storage don't get picked by MMA

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

KHS

Added files on Linksys WRT1200AC external storage don't get picked by MMA

Post by KHS »

Setup: Linksys WRT1200AC router. external 4TB HDDs connected to USB3.1 on router. Access music files via MMA on my Note9 or from my Lenovo tablet (old Andriod OS). MMA premium V1.3.4.0854. All files can be accessed by all Windows (WIN10, WIN7) on all machines at home from \\192.168.1.1. All existing files also can be accessed by MMA and cast into my Onkoy receiver.
I add new .wav music to my music folder on the external storage every now and then. When I access these newly added .wav files shortly after adding them from MMA, they do not show up (I use UpnP, and view by Folder). Even if I wait for days, they do not show up. I have to remove .tmp and cache folders from the drives, power cycle the drives and the router, only then, MMA "might" pick them up along with existing files /folders on the drive.

Questions:
1. Is this anomaly due to Linksys external storage protocol not syncing properly with MMA? Note that ES file explorer on both Android devices sees them immediately and you can even listen to them on multiple players on the Note9 or the Lenovo tablet. Newly added files can be seen on WIn10 and win7 machines on the same LAN.
2. Is there a choice/function/option on MMA that can Force-Refresh what the MMA sees after adding the files to the external storage attached to the WRT1200AC?
3. If its a router issue, does this issue exist on other manufacturer's routers, e.g. Nighthawk or else?

Appreciate your help.
KHS
Lowlander

Re: Added files on Linksys WRT1200AC external storage don't get picked by MMA

Post by Lowlander »

Are any of the other methods you do see the files with also using UPnP (DLNA) like MMA or are they instead using the file server. UPnP generally sees what the server provides.
Peke

Re: Added files on Linksys WRT1200AC external storage don't get picked by MMA

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Routers just use simple file share governing by CIFS/Samba Standard of simple File share. MMA unlike ES File Explorer do not support CIFS/SMB file share and can't access such files. There are plans to add this to MMA but due the lack of Native Android Support (Google have tried but dev sample app was removed from Play store)

Router Chips are mostly not capable to support fully fledged UPnP/DLNA Server.

NOTE: You can easily access shared folder using MediaMonkey for Windows and then use it to access it from MMA and stream to other devices over UPnP.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts