Advice on portable MM: SSD or Flash Drive?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Prooffreader

Advice on portable MM: SSD or Flash Drive?

Post by Prooffreader »

Hi there, I've currently got MediaMonkey installed as a portable device on a small, USB 3 external pocket sized 2 TB SSD. I find it a big laggy when syncing to my Android phone compared to when I ran it installed on a computer, which is of course to be expected. It even hangs sometimes, but force quitting and restarting generally fixes that.

My question is whether there is any reason to expect better performance on a USB 3 256 GB USB Key flash drive. My music library is only 40 GB, so that would still leave plenty of overhead on the drive. Mind you, it would be more misplaceable, so maybe that's something I should consider, or at least set up an automatic backup.

Just wondering if anyone had any advice in that area.
Lowlander

Re: Advice on portable MM: SSD or Flash Drive?

Post by Lowlander »

As both use USB3 it would be up to read (primarily) and write speeds of the memory on each to which would be faster. The problem lies in that both the database (lots of read/write) and the files (lots of reading) are on the same storage. If you're also using Auto-Conversion (more read/write) there is a lot of data being passed through the drive.
Peke

Re: Advice on portable MM: SSD or Flash Drive?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
SSD 1000% and USB 3.0 as a min interface with cable as shorted as possible.

Mor Info on the matter can be read here https://www.avadirect.com/blog/usb-3-1- ... ifference/
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts