'Script Exexcution' error

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Onansboy

'Script Exexcution' error

Post by Onansboy »

Hi. I have been running the latest version of Mediamonkey (4.1.24.1883) on my Windows 7 PC with no problems. Up until now. Since yesterday, though, whenever I open Mediamonkey a box pops up saying "Script Execution Error: a script engine for the specified language cannot be created". Eventually, after okaying the box about 12 times, it disappears and I can then use the program as normal - except that none of my addons work!

As I tend to keep a tight lid on any PC apps updating without my permission, the only change I can see that might have led to this error is an update to my Avast antivirus program. Although I'm not technically sound on this, I understand that the latter has the potential to interfere with the running of scripts on Mediamonkey. So I tried uninstalling it, which didn't help. I then performed a system restore, which did fix the issue. But when Avast updates, the problem returns.

So, any advice on how to fix said error would be welcome.
Lowlander

Re: 'Script Exexcution' error

Post by Lowlander »

Onansboy

Post by Onansboy »

Thanks Lowlander. I visited the link and tried to re/register the individual scripting components. It went okay until "regsvr32 msscript.ocx" when I got the error 'the module "msscript.ocx" failed to load (...) The specified module could not be found'. And when I ran "Test_VBscript.exe" there was a quick flash of a DOS screen but nothing more. Last of all I opened Mediamonkey, where the same error appeared.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MM is not he only one unfortunately https://www.google.com/search?q=%27the+ ... 8&oe=utf-8
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Onansboy

Post by Onansboy »

Hello. In case others are having this problem I thought it best to post my solution. As I thought, Avast somehow caused the "script execution" error by taking ownership of (in my case) C:\Windows\SysWOW64\vbscript.dll and rewriting it to something akin to C:\\Program Files\Avast\vbscript.dll, thus stopping Mediamonkey from running addon scripts. I understand Avast's actions can also affect C:\Windows\system32\vbscript.dll, but this didn't happen in my case. So the solution for me was to reverse Avast's action. In other words to change C:\\Program Files\Avast\vbscript.dll back to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\vbscript.dll

The following link http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ipt-engine showed me how to use Regedit to find and alter the relevant entries. Using the search facility within Regedit for "InprocServer32" I found the three main registry keys I needed to fin in order to see if Avast had altered any of them: CLSID\{B54F3741, B54F3742, and CLSID\{B54F3743. Fortunately for me, only one of the keys had been altered.

I got stuck, however, when the system denied me permission to affect the necessary reversal. That's where the following link was helpful https://www.maketecheasier.com/full-own ... stry-keys/. Then, having ticked the relevant boxes that gave me permission to take ownership of the relevant key, I rewrote it and closed Regedit. When I opened Mediamonkey the error was gone and my addons are now working like before.

A word of warning: making changes to the registry is done at your own risk. At the very least back it up before changing anything. And while this solution worked for me, I can't guarantee the same results for other users.

Anyway I hope this helps any others who just might have the same error...