FLAC files drop out with server

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

doane2u

FLAC files drop out with server

Post by doane2u »

My Windows 7 64x computer in the office has a large inventory of music on the hard drives, most of it ripped to FLAC from CDs. They play fine on the computer speaker system. It is attached to a router/WiFi in the living room media center with a cat-7 ethernet cable about 30 feet long. My Onkyo receiver and the Samsung TV are also connected to the router, about 5 feet away, with Cat-7 cable.
I turn on the computer and start MM4. In the living room from the TV I can see the MM4 server listed and I can open it up and see all files, folders, and playlists. I can also do this from the Onkyo receiver, but it doesn't display folder covers as large on the screen as the TV connection does so I usually use the TV as described. When I play back the FLAC music (from the TV or the receiver), it will play for anywhere from 5 - 15 minutes and then I lose the connection and must restart it. I checked to see if any screen savers or power savers might be interfering but could find nothing. I finally found that if I playback only mp3 files, there is no problem. I think it may be related to the size of the FLAC files
Is this a problem of the FLAC file sizes being too large compared to the mp3 files and it is loading down the router connection? The FLAC files range from about 10-25mb. I got the same results when I used a Wifi connection to the TV from the router instead of the cable. I also played the same FLAC files back from a USB flash stick connected to the TV or the receiver and I have no problems.
My MM4 is the Gold v 4.1.24.1883
Thanks,
Media Monkey Gold 5
Windows 10 Home 64x
MB Gigabyte Z590 UD AC w/ Intel core i5-11600k 3.9GHz 6 core
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4-2600
Video EVGA GeForce GTX1660 TI
Audio Sound Blaster Z SBX Studio
C: Samsung 980 1TB M.2 NVME SS
E: SATA Western Digital Black 1TB (to be replace with a Samsung 980 1TB M.2 NVME SS)
Lowlander

Re: FLAC files drop out with server

Post by Lowlander »

The problem could be on the TV side with its ability to handle FLAC or large files. In that scenario you can setup Auto-Conversion in the Media Servers settings so MediaMonkey sends the FLAC as MP3 files. Does the ONKYO play the FLAC files fine?

You can capture the problems with FLAC in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=20&t=69
doane2u

Post by doane2u »

The Onkyo receiver does the same thing.
Another weird thing I noticed is that when I go to connect to the MM server from the TV (input selector) or the receiver (DLNA) there are several instances of it listed. One is listed as MM library, and there are three more listed a MM server? Tried different ones and it made no difference.

My album images are larger, about 800x800, many of them I scanned from the original CD case images to get better quality. But, the mp3 files play fine, so I wouldn't think that has anything to do with it?

I guess I could convert the FLAC files to WAV so there are no losses, but then they would be really big. Maybe will try to set it up so it converts them to mp3 at the high 320 level so there is minimal changes.

Do you think the debug would help? MM isn't crashing or anything, it's just the FLAC music files close with the notice that the connection has been lost each time.
Media Monkey Gold 5
Windows 10 Home 64x
E: SATA Western Digital Black 1TB (to be replace with a Samsung 980 1TB M.2 NVME SS)
doane2u

Post by doane2u »

Was just looking in the Options for Server conversion and I see that I have those several instances of the server listed... don't know how I ended up with more than one. I just renamed one FLAC to MP3 and set it up to convert FLAC files to MP3 constant and stereo. Will see how that goes.
Media Monkey Gold 5
Windows 10 Home 64x
doane2u

Post by doane2u »

Well, it's still doing it. I guess I was wrong about mp3s not doing it. Will have to look into this more and get back to you all.
Thanks,
Media Monkey Gold 5
Windows 10 Home 64x
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

A debug log captures all actions, thus no crash is necessary for it to be useful.
doane2u

Post by doane2u »

On you link the debug file for MS Windows doesn't mention supporting Windows 7 64x? It mentions Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003? Would this work with my version?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... /debugview
Media Monkey Gold 5
Windows 10 Home 64x
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, and Windows 10 too.
doane2u

Post by doane2u »

SOLVED..
Apparently the problem wasn't the file size or type of file, it was the fact that I had 4 versions of the server running at once. At least, that's all I can conclude.
In the options, Server, I unchecked all but one and the problem has disappeared. I have been playing FLAC recordings for 1/2 hour with no drop outs or disconnections, so I guess it's solved. Also glad I don't have to convert the FLAC files to MP3 in order to play them, although I don't think I would probably be able to tell the difference at the MP3 320 level.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Media Monkey Gold 5
Windows 10 Home 64x