Can't play FLAC files when using a wireless speaker as a DLNA renderer

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

matabb

Can't play FLAC files when using a wireless speaker as a DLNA renderer

Post by matabb »

I'm using MMW, run under Win 10, in conjunction with a Harmon Kardon Aura, a wireless speaker that is a certified DLNA client. I've been using this set up for about a year. The Aura can be set up as a wifi or a bluetooth speaker, but sounds better under Wi-Fi. By selecting the AURA as the Player in MMW, the songs in my MMW library are output to the speaker, which is about 20 feet away from the computer running MMW. Once I connected the Aura to the network, it showed up as a selectable Player in MMW. I didn't have to do anything else to configure.

This worked well for several months. The Aura recently lost the ability to connect to the WIFI network, and since it was still under warranty, HK sent me a replacement unit. The new Aura connects to the wi-fi network and shows up as a Player in MMW. But, for some reason, the Aura won't play .flac files. When a .flac song comes up in the playlist, there is a long pause, and then MMW moves to the next song. If the next song is .flac, it will move on again until it hits an .mp3 file. My library is approximately 1/2 .mp3, 1/2 .flac. Never had this problem before. .mp3 files play without a problem.

If I set up the Aura as a bluetooth speaker for the Win 10 computer, the .flac files play (once I return the player selection to MM's internal player). And if I select MM's internal player as the playback device, .flac files also play fine through the computer's sound card.

I don't think the problem is the Aura. As far as I can tell its just a dumb speaker, it doesn't have any software to decode file formats--it just plays what the DLNA server sends it. (But I may be wrong about that)

To complicate the diagnosis, at the same time I swapped out the Aura units, I upgraded to MMW 4.1.24. So I don't know if the problem is the Aura, the new version of MMW, the configuration of MMW or something else.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Lowlander

Re: Can't play FLAC files when using a wireless speaker as a DLNA renderer

Post by Lowlander »

DLNA sends the file, it's up to the device to be able to play it. So you do need to confirm if the Aura can play FLAC files. Meanwhile, in the MediaMonkey Media Server settings you can setup Auto-Conversion (Gold feature) to convert any file type to any other file type (like FLAC to WAV).
matabb

Post by matabb »

Odd. My old Aura unit had no problem with .flac files, and the manual doesn't indicate a limitation of what file types can be played over the speaker.

Nonetheless, I changed the library so that all .flac files would auto-convert to .mp3s. And now the .flac files play. So I guess that was it. It would be nice if the lossless files could play, but I guess I need to have that discussion with the manufacturer of the Aura.

Thanks for the help!

Michael
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can convert to WAV if you want lossless and FLAC isn't supported.
Wright20

Post by Wright20 »

Yes converting to WAV is only essential if u require lossless,but also agreed with the fact that FLAC isn't supported which is bit unfortunate