MediaMonkey sync makes iPhone XSMax crash

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

howardj

MediaMonkey sync makes iPhone XSMax crash

Post by howardj »

After a MediaMonkey sync on a newly setup iPhone XSMax the phone works correctly as well as plays the synced music etc.
But when you try to sync again for a backup with iTunes, iTunes says it can't read the iPhone and needs to be reset to factory settings.

Apple support could not fix the issue.

Reset phone with iTunes, restored backup, phone works as it should.

Did another sync with MediaMonkey, iPhone works as it should, music, playlists etc. work as they should and then tried sync with iTunes and it said the same, cannot read iPhone and have to reset.
Peke

Re: MediaMonkey sync makes iPhone XSMax crash

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Unfortunately from what we know you can't even sync same phone on two different iTunes from two different PCs as they put something in DB, so in all cases user must decide what to use.

Also MMW do not work if iTunes is started and most likely iTunes do not work if MMW is started. In teh past tehre was a setting that will tell iTunes not to sync Music/Video but only sync/backup contacts and other things.

If I got you correctly you say that if you use MMW then all works correctly if only MMW is used?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
howardj1971

Post by howardj1971 »

I have always used iTunes to sync my phones for backup, never for music I always have used MediaMonkey for that.

Which has worked for every previous iPhone I have owned.

The problem is when MediaMonkey places music on my phone it makes it so iTunes thinks it has an issue and has to be reset.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
You can easily replicate that if you plug your iPhone into another PC and Sync with different iTunes.

I wouldn't be surprised that iTunes Detect third party app putting music on device and report factory reset needed.
Best regards,
Peke
howardj1971

Post by howardj1971 »

I did install iTunes on my laptop and got the same exact results.

It was Apple who had me try this because my laptop has Windows 10
and my desktop has windows 7 (they were trying to blame it on Windows 7)

I have been thinking the same about Apple seeing I'm using MediaMonkey and forcing me
to reset mt phone and start over. If this is indeed the case is there going to be a MediaMonkey
update to fix the issue?

Or did I just pay 1450.00 for a door stop, that I can't put my music collection on.
If I use iTunes to install my music (forgive me for swearing) I will loose all my playlists
I have created and use since the beginning.

Thanks...
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Unfortunately, I am not sure what we can do regarding this. I'll ask other devs if they encountered similar issue, as it iTunes doing not MM, especially as it do same thing for itself :(

iTunes do not work on Windows 7, that is new :lol:

Re doorstep: If it do not fit for your door I'll be glad to use hammer to fit it in :roll: :wink: 8) :D
Best regards,
Peke
nsd3

Post by nsd3 »

I have a similar issue with an iPhone Xs. I use MM purely for playing music on my PC. I sync and play music on my phone from iTunes, never MM. I've found that if I've left my phone plugged into my PC and then start MM,any attempt to use iTunes afterwards fails. Same message about having to reset my phone to factory defaults and restore. To confirm, I've tried this twice and get the same results.

The very fact that MM just sees my phone connected, is enough to break it with iTunes. This really needs fixing.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, this issue is tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15280
But we haven't been able to replicate the issue on our devices.

I have been in contact with one user that can replicate the issue and found that the issue is related to device identifier that needs to be used to calculate hash value to be written to iTunesCDB file (and iTunes considers the iTunesCDB file as corrupted if the hash value does not match).
But the user has stopped the debugging unfortunately :-/

Could you please generate debug log (using DbgView -- item 4b here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=7&t=69 )

1) Start DbgView
2) ensure iPhone is plugged via USB
3) Ensure that the iPhone is visible in MediaMonkey and save the log from the DbgView and attach the log

I will be able to see the device identifier from the log and able to debug this further (and hopefully fix shortly).

Thanks!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, I no longer need the log, I have already got the log from another user and was able to prepare two versions of d_iPhone.dll.
One of the two versions ('version 4' or 'version 5') should finally work for the iTunes to accept our iTunesCDB file.

I uploaded them here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wt932ipzc4bg ... FSS7a?dl=0

Could you please confirm/test which of the two versions fixes the problem for you?

Just replace your current /MediaMonkey/plugins/d_iPhone.dll by the downloaded one and do the test.

Thanks!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

FYI: the issue is fixed in 4.1.24.1883 : http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 45#p456640
sallenmd87

Post by sallenmd87 »

Thank you, Ludek. I was just about to give up on MM and go back to iTunes (ugh) so that I could back my XS Max up to my computer rather than iCloud. I can confirm that the beta fixes the problem. Restating the problem, with previous versions of MM and iOS 12.1, if you use MM to sync music to your iPhone, iTunes will demand that you restore the iPhone in order to access it. So glad I do not have to switch back. I have also been having problems with MM failing to sync all of the files in some AutoPlaylists and randomly corrupting some of the files that it was syncing, such that they (AAC files) can no longer be played in MM or iTunes. Hoping that the new version fixes that as well.
jay2k

Post by jay2k »

Hi - I'm currently experiencing this same issue with an iPhone XS (not the XS MAX).

I am on Windows 7 and have the latest versions of MM (4.1.24.1883, portable install) and iTunes (12.9.4.102). After syncing with MM, iTunes says contents can't be read and I have to do a full restore.

I have tried doing a clean install of MM with the latest version, to see if that would work, but no luck. I have had to restore my phone 3 times now.

Any suggestions as to how to resolve this?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Generate a debug log as suggested above and attach it to a Support Ticket, so the developers can look into why this is still happening for you.