"now playing" columns cannot be sorted

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

cato

"now playing" columns cannot be sorted

Post by cato »

ok this is a major problem with "now playing" columns. u can move them left and right. but if u click on somethign like "artist" it should sort all the rows based on ascending order of artists. another click on "artist" should sort via desecnding order.

this works in the "accessible tracks" and in other playlists. but why does this not work in "now playing".

should u not be able to sort your "now playing" ?
malibu

Post by malibu »

You can sort the songs in any order before adding them to the now playing list, can you not? I think this would be the preferred solution.. Adding too many options to the now playing window could get confusing in my humble opinion.
Lowlander

Been requested

Post by Lowlander »

This sorting on column headers has been requested before. We'll just have to hope that is gets added.

PS. Few people would probably sort the Now Playing list that way. If you want this you probably added the songs sorted in the first place. I use it for editing songs. This does require more control over the Now Playing sorting.
rusty

Now Playing: Sorting and Play Order column

Post by rusty »

This one is closely tied to the Play Order prefix problem. i.e. before sorting in the Now Playing view can be enabled, a new column needs to be created for Play Order (otherwise it'd possible to sort only for one of Title or Play Order).

Anyhow, these are both on the to do list, but unlikely to make it into 2.2.

Have I misjudged the severity of the problem?

One other question: if you resorted the playlist what would you expect to happen:
a) tracks continue playing in the new sort order (i.e. Play order is changed)
b) tracks continue playing following the existing Play Order (which would mean that tracks don't play in the order in which they appear in the NP list).
Keep in mind as you answer that you'd probably also want to be able to drag and drop songs in the NP window to re-order them (and have playlist order dynamically updated in response).

-Rusty
Lowlander

Nothing fancy

Post by Lowlander »

I don't want something too fancy.

I would expect that whatever ordering is done on the playlist the next song after the song playing would be the one to play next.

Whatever order event is possible should be a one time order, no dynamic ordering of tracks added is needed (at least I wouldn't want that).

I would use ordering probably only during management of songs (editing tags, rating, ect.). As such anything dynamic would not work very well (and anyway one manual order after adding files and all is ordered again).