Licensing changes to free version of MM?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Steve_NZ

Licensing changes to free version of MM?

Post by Steve_NZ »

I just tried to rip a CD into MM and got the following message:

"Due to licensing restrictions, the free version of MediaMonkey cannot bundle MP3 functionality beyond a 30 day trial period. For unrestricted MP3 encoding functionality please upgrade."

I've been using MM for years and this is the first time I've seen this. When did this happen?
Lowlander

Re: Licensing changes to free version of MM?

Post by Lowlander »

This has been like this for years: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... -unlimited

You can Rip to most other formats with the free version, but MP3 requires License fees to be paid.
Steve_NZ

Post by Steve_NZ »

Hi Lowlander

I'm puzzled. I added a whole bunch of CDs literally 3 weeks ago to MM. No problem. No limits. All saved as MP3s.

To be honest, I can understand it if the developers would say, "there is a 30 day trial period after which you have to upgrade" but that is not the explanation. Although that is the one that makes sense in this context. So, is that what's happening?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you buy the Gold license you get unlimited MP3 encoding. MP3 decoding (playing) remains available in the free version, MP3 encoding hasn't been for many years (at least) as MediaMonkey can't include it for free.

You may have replaced the lame encoder from an internet download in the past which is why it was working without paying.
Steve_NZ

Post by Steve_NZ »

I downloaded MM to this PC about 2 months ago.... new PC... this change has come about I think since I updated the software as directed....
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It has been like this for at least 10 years as that's the last time that KB article was updated.

It's also listed as a Gold feature: https://www.mediamonkey.com/information/gold/
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

I can confirm that mp3 encoding has always been a limited trial for at least the 7 years that I have been using MM.

If you installed MM to that PC about two months ago and the last time you were able to use the mp3 encoder was about three weeks ago then you were probably still within the 30 day trial. The trial starts the first time you encode an mp3, not when you install MM.
Steve_NZ

Post by Steve_NZ »

rivorson wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:35 am I can confirm that mp3 encoding has always been a limited trial for at least the 7 years that I have been using MM.

If you installed MM to that PC about two months ago and the last time you were able to use the mp3 encoder was about three weeks ago then you were probably still within the 30 day trial. The trial starts the first time you encode an mp3, not when you install MM.
That's interesting since I have never had a warning - ever! - and I've used the free version of MM for about 4-5 years. I only got the warning after I updated the software for apparently essential fixes.

The patent for MP3s has also expired, as far as I could tell. I realise that the licensing is a different issue but you can see why I am puzzled and frankly not a little peeved. I really wouldn't mind if someone said "ok the free trial has ended and now you have to pay for the program", but nothing in my history of MM usage has ever indicated that to be the case.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Like said, this hasn't changed. Maybe you had replaced the lame encoder or hadn't passed the 30 days since first use. All documentation points to this not being a free feature of MediaMonkey.

One of the right holders to MP3 has given up the license rights, but there has been no news of the others doing so.
Steve_NZ

Post by Steve_NZ »

I haven't changed a single thing but I'm over it.

Upgrading. Can someone tell me what the Mediamonkey codec pack actually does? "This MediaMonkey addon adds unlimited encoding to MP4, AVI, and M4A files, along with video playback in various formats." And this means?
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

If you want free mp3 encoding then you can download the lame encoder here:
http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php

Download LAME 3.100, then copy the lame_enc.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey\

The codec pack lets you encode aac (audio), alac (audio), h.264 (video), and mpeg4 (video) formats. It doesn't include mp3.
aac is a higher quality codec than mp3 so that might be a better option for you.

MediaMonkey Gold is still required if you want to auto-convert as part of syncing to a device, but you can manually select files to convert to a destination without Gold.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The MediaMonkey Codec Pack doesn't add MP3 encoding. Encoding means you can create that format. So if you want to Rip files to a format or use Convert (or auto-conversion of DLNA playback/syncing) to one of those formats you'll need the MediaMonkey Codec Pack to do so. For playback it will allow for those formats to be played as well, but it may not be necessary if your system can already play the formats.
rusty

Post by rusty »

I'm not sure why you you didn't get an upgrade notification--in normal circumstances, after 30 days of use users are warned that they need to upgrade in order to continue using MP3 encoding.

btw, afaik MP3 patents have expired. I've updated the article at https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... le/View/22 to reflect the current situation.

Thanks for supporting MediaMonkey!

-Rusty
donaldcassey

Post by donaldcassey »

How to use MM? Can anyone briefly tell me how to use MM. Also, does it help me in downloading SoundCloud file because from such a long time I want to download these soundcloud playlist offline so that I can listen to them whenever I want to.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Start here on how to get started with MediaMonkey: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... tarted/4.0