Tagging STILL not working - stuck on 13,000 files to be tagged

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

turkeyphant

Tagging STILL not working - stuck on 13,000 files to be tagged

Post by turkeyphant »

Using MediaMonkey 4.1.21.1875 on Windows 7.

Just did a few much-needed edits to tags on a small 67,000 file library and there are still over 13k files with pending tag edits to process after leaving the computer for over 3 hours. CPU is a constant ~19% despite nothing happening at all with MM. I've read several threads with similar problems not of which I could find a resolution for.

I'm loathe to close the program now as I'll have to manually recreate all my tag edits again. Is there any way to save the queue of pending edits so I don't lose them all and have to spend several hours redoing them again?!

And how is this bug still not fixed after so many years?!
Lowlander

Re: Tagging STILL not working - stuck on 13,000 files to be tagged

Post by Lowlander »

No, you can't save it. However the Music > Files to Edit > Unsynchronized Tags node should show the files that were edited in MediaMonkey, but didn't have the tags saved to them.
turkeyphant

Post by turkeyphant »

Okay since I posted that about 8 hours ago, it's gone down by about 20. Now only 13,495 files to be tagged.

I'm afraid I don't get how seeing the Unsynchroniszed Tags helps? For some reason MM is unable to save tags properly.

I had this issue before whether it was 50 tags or 5,000. Now I've spent a decent amount of time correct a lot of files and I'm stuck not being able to close the program or turn off my computer for, at this rate, several days while waiting for the tags to sloooooowly sync.

Presumably since this has been a known issue for several years, it's a tracked bug? Are we any closer to a fix for it yet?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Slow tagging is fixed and any individual tagging issues can be analyzed only if you provide us with debug logs (either within support ticket or sending me or any other mod or Admin PM with Debug log DL link) so that we can see what and why it is slow. Also tagging files over WiFi to network location can be real bottleneck, so if you see lock/freeze it is suggested to copy file to another location and try to tag it from there.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
turkeyphant

Post by turkeyphant »

I can't close the program to open debug mode until this has finished. Still going at a glacial speed and has done on all test systems connected to my NAS via gigabit ethernet. File transfer and burst speeds are fine so I'm at a loss why it's taking so long to process them...
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Not sure what do you mean you can't close? You can always close MMW by killing the thread in Task Manager.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
turkeyphant

Post by turkeyphant »

As per my second post in this thread " I'm stuck not being able to close the program or turn off my computer for, at this rate, several days while waiting for the tags to sloooooowly sync."
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can always kill a program in the Windows Task Manager, even from File > Exit in MediaMonkey it should close (it will prompt about background tasks though). Then Files to Edit > Unsynchronized Tags should show all the files that were still waiting to be tagged.
turkeyphant

Post by turkeyphant »

So, in response to my OP, you're actually saying that, after all, MM automatically "saves the queue of pending edits"?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, Files to Edit compares files tags against database values and shows files were there is a difference.
turkeyphant

Post by turkeyphant »

So, as per the original question, when I make edits do I need to wait days for them to propagate or not?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, which is why Peke asked for a debug log (step 4b https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=7&t=69) if you can reproduce this in your setup.