What do I sync?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

RonZimmerman

What do I sync?

Post by RonZimmerman »

MMA1.3.2.0824 on Samsung S7
MMW 4.1.21.1875 on HP Windows 10 Laptop
OK, I deleted everything and reinstalled. I only have the sync to device working and have not checked anything on sync device to Library. I would like to be able to bring my rating (stars) into the library and the times played. But I am worried if will screw up the library with many duplicates as it has three time in the past. When I sync from device to PC should I check the MediaMonkey folder on the card or just the music? Should I sync the playlists? When I installed MMA, it put folders on the phone internal storage and the card. The 2 folders have duplicate files except the card has the db file. Do I need to sync the folder on the phone? I have not done that. Should I sync the MediaMonkey folder on the card? Did that cause all the duplicates? I don't want to go through that again. Thank you for your help.
Lowlander

Re: What do I sync?

Post by Lowlander »

RonZimmerman

Post by RonZimmerman »

Thank you, but I have read this Wiki several times over the last few months and it doesn't answer my questions. Specifically
1. MMW shows my phone and has a sync Q. Is there any reason to sync the phone? It seems everything is on the SD card.
2. Where are the stars stored? In the mp3 file or in the MediaMonkey database? And, in a related question, what must I sync from the device(SD card) to the PC to get the stars, The MediaMonkey folder or the Music folder or both? There are 7 folders showing in the sync device to library tab. Which should I check?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) They're are treated as 2 independent devices. So if you're syncing to the SD card in the phone you can disable the phone Device Profile (Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync in MMW).

2) MMA stores it only in it's database. MMW stores it in database, file and syncs it to in file on device and MMA database. You need to enable the option to sync metadata from device to PC (in Device Profile) to have any tag changes in MMA synced back (and saved to files) to MMW.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MMW syncs the files to the device and updates the MMA database with info on the synced files. You can't just sync file info to MMA without syncing the files.